Reeflo blowhole 2700 failed

Highway66

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Curious if anyone is using these pumps at high head. I am pumping up one floor 10' vertical, im calculating about 16 feet of total head. Pump failed after 1 1/2 month of use. Dramatic failure, smoke billowing out, not good.

i am hoping this was just a pump defect as i bought a second as backup and the second one is in place now.

Plus side, Pump is supper quiet. Anyone have any experience with these.

Highway66

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I first noticed that it had tripped the gfci which shut off everything to my aquarium. I wasnt sure at that point what was causing the trip, thought it might be a power strip i have plugged into the same outlet for my mixing station. it has tripped it before when i splashed it. So i unplugged a few things and plugged the strip back in to a non gfci outlet, ran a few minutes more then let the smoke out. Maybe it was a mistake plugging back in but i wasnt sure what was wrong at that point.

Mine just went out last week. Waiting for new and improved one from reeflo. This is what they emailed me "yes we have made improvements to the bearing core and we are about to introduce a new plastic wet end...can you wait until next week so we can get you one of the new plastic pumps?" I’m running about 12’ of head on medium setting.

Highway66

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
This is what they sent me. Im not sure if i will need to send mine in. I think i will put a small fan on mine till i can get the replacement in. From what i have found it seems to be an overheating issue.

The New TRIDENT 3000
Exchange Offer
The BlowHole 2700 has been upgraded and renamed the TRIDENT 3000 It features a plastic pump housing with 1.5” openings and new “Cool-Flo” internal bearings. The result is much lower operating temps and less bogging down of the spin. The flow and pressure characteristics are the same.
We are offering an exchange for all owners of BH2700 pumps. Please send your shipping address and the serial # from the top of cover of your current pump so we an shp replacment.

Munch;274284 said:
Did you have to send yours in to get replaced, or they send one ASAP?
They said as soon as the new pumps come in they will send it, that was last week. No I did not have to send the old one in yet.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Post an update when you get your new one. I'm also on the list for an exchange.

Thanks

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mine showed up tonight via UPS. Nice options as well:

1. Pay to return my old one, and they start 2 year warranty on new one from today.
2. I have them pay return shipping, and they cover 2 years from date of original purchase, probably in July 2013.
3. I keep the old pump, and no warranty. Which might be ok, given my credit card will cover the warranty on the unit.

It might be nice to have a backup unit sitting on the shelf.... decisions...

Got mine

My bh2700 stopped pumping so I'm sending it back.

Highway66

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would like to know how the tridents are running for those that swapped them out? And how many decided to go with different pumps?

So far so good on mine. I do have small fan pointed at mine, I believe it was a overheating issue that caused the failures so im still not trusting it.

If anyone has any input on these i would love to hear as im still nervous about it failing especially when im not home.