200G Forever And A Day Build Thread

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good_GReef;288221 said:
Lol eyes on the chick. It took me a minute to figure it out. Actually that's a dude with some slammin lipstick on. In other news, that setup really is quite impressive. Makes me think i could actually pull something like that off and not blow up my house or chop my right hand off with a power tool. I got dis.

hahahaha aha I wondered if anyone would ever notice and be like "is that a dude?" Now I get to change it to something else that's stupid and ridiculous.

thanks everyone for all the positive feedback. If I can get off my but this weekend and going to try to get the the rest of the holes drilled in the floor for the emergency over flow and second air vent.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Some updates

So a little update on this forever and a day build thread.

I finally got my the lighting hoist pieces back from Roadrunner which they had lost for nearly three weeks. At least I finally got them and they sand blasted and powdercoated everything for just $100. Still I will never use them again worst customer service ever!

This is the assembled crank on the front arm bracket. Id like to buy a low speed high torque motor to bolt up to one day to make this thing electric.

The rear bearing which holds the crank rod in place.

All the powder coated pieces assembled.

This is the rack that pretty much will hold all the lights which will consist of two 20" Coralvue Lumen bright reflectors with 400W Radium Halides over driven with an old-school Dual PFO HQI ballast. I will most likey supplement with 2-4 48" VHO super Actinics or I may use 2-4 Kessill 360s, I have not decided yet.

Everything installed. Oh and I also almost forgot to mention I finally got the garage door swapped out with one that swings AWAY from the tank. I really want to give Dane (FishTV) a huge thank you for getting me the door that would have otherwise been a special order from HomeDepot for a smoking deal. Thank youi!!

This last picture shows the hook hand crank Ill be using until I get bored and decide to fit it with a motor which is really pointless except I think it would be kinda cool. ;)

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here are a few more pics of the light hoist.

You can see here I can list the light all the way tight to the ceiling if I for some reason needed to do that.

Shiny!!

Since I couldn't use the air exchanger I originally wanted to due to it not fitting with the light rack I am kind of revamping the ventilation and cooling system using two inline fans that will be installed under the floor in the crawl space for noise reduction. The blue one is rated for 170 CFM and will be the exhaust fan. The one to the right is rated for 250CFM and will be a fresh air intake fan that will also double as an evaporitive cooling fan. I'm going to see how this works out I may end up matching the flow of both fans but that may not be necessary since they will basically be configured in a push/pull fashion.

Fished the electrical outlets.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
SkyShark;328592 said:
Nice! Lots of cool stuff going on here. Will you be able to plumb the frag tank in to the main system?
yeah, unfortunatley I dont think so. If the guest bathroom wasnt sitting between the two rooms then yes I definitely would plumb them together. I guess there is the one advantage of having them seperate if one were to crash but depending on how much maintenance it ends up being i may break down the 60g cube at some point. Im not sure how much im going to like maintaining three separate systems. we will see I guess.

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ThunderTwonk;328588 said:
Here are a few more pics of the light hoist.

You can see here I can list the light all the way tight to the ceiling if I for some reason needed to do that.

Shiny!!

Since I couldn't use the air exchanger I originally wanted to due to it not fitting with the light rack I am kind of revamping the ventilation and cooling system using two inline fans that will be installed under the floor in the crawl space for noise reduction. The blue one is rated for 170 CFM and will be the exhaust fan. The one to the right is rated for 250CFM and will be a fresh air intake fan that will also double as an evaporitive cooling fan. I'm going to see how this works out I may end up matching the flow of both fans but that may not be necessary since they will basically be configured in a push/pull fashion.

Fished the electrical outlets.

Is this the "door" you were getting powder coated? Lol

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
aztecdreams;328600 said:
Is this the "door" you were getting powder coated? Lol

Haha! yep thats the one.

The Roadrunner guys kept reffering to my parts as door parts for some reason. No wonder they couldnt find them no idea how anyone could think they were door parts.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ialtalal;328603 said:
Wow very impressive Kris, I might have to ask for help to build a similar rack for my tank
Yeah for sure! Cant wait to get that sump insert we talked about. Hopefully I can follow up with you in another week or so to order one. I need to get my sump ready first because im not 100% sure what size Im going to use yet.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
powdermonkey;328631 said:
Mad DIY skills, your killing it.
Overdriving the radiums...nice! Must be for sticks, yes??
And the hand crank is getto, definitely have to get the motor installed.
yep the plan is sps only. Course I say that now.
originally when I started this build I had every intention of using LEDs so the light hoist made a little more sense because I probably would have been running them 8-10" off the water but with this halide setup I'll most likely be running them 15-18" off the surface and probably won't need to raise the lights very often. It will make it easy for changing bulbs though. I am thinking at some point I will go back to LED so who knows. I spent so much making the dumb thing I figured I may as well use it.