M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Woot! time to get wet!!!!:silentbob:

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
A few small updates but hey at least its progress.

The floor joists under the tank run the wrong way for what would be ideal so just to be safe I dug a 2'x4' 1' deep hole under the tank and filled with cement followed by plastic plywood then pressure treated 2"x12"s and installed floor jacks which I have be cranking up 1/4 turn a week f or about a month until the soil under the platform settled.

Way over kill but at least now there is no question that the tank is properly supported.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
With the tank all leveled up and ready for water it was time to leak test the tank. I wasn't worried about any leaks but the tank has been sitting in my garage for 4 friggin years so the reality of it is I just really wanted to see some water in it but I'm happy to report no leaks as well. lol

I ordered some Tonga kaelini from Aquatic Art so once that arrives Ill be able to aquascape and finally get this thing cycling.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
OMG there is water in it!

Mermaid Gardens

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow what a set up. Love the water changing station. This is quite a build.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
MartinsReef;340450 said:
Just so you know, I took down my whole sump room to redo it because of this build! :D
Haha nice! I take that as a real compliments

MuralReef;340453 said:
Where's the update? Did you get the rock yet?
Im still working on finding the rock. I'm being really picky about it.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
As you should be, as long as you've e planned this build don't rush into something just to get water in the tank.

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a ton of rock you can come and go through to see if there is any you want. FREE as you did hook a brother up with some fittings.

Last edited by a moderator:

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
MartinsReef;340465 said:
I have a ton of rock you can come and go through to see if there is any you want. FREE as you did hook a brother up with some fittings.
Crazy how did I not see this before?

I did finally find live rock that has the look and quality I was looking for. I ordered 150lbs of live fiji tukani for a smoking good wholesale price. The bad part was it got held up in port for 6 weeks then sat on a fedex truck right here in Colorado for a week. The worst part was the bouncing around on the truck all that time pulverized at least 1/3rd of it into unusable rubble. What was left had a lot of die off but still looked really good aesthetically.

aztecdreams (Rick) was nice enough to let me borrow his 150g stock trough to cure it in. The stuff coming off the rock is pretty nasty and the water is pretty yellow but its coming along nicley. I picked up a couple other nice pieces of fiji tukani that Cris had at AA so I think that combined with what I had collected last summer will be enough for a really nice aquascape.

Some nasty skimmate coming from the rock. Thing is like a foam cannon.

On another side note, I got real tired of dealing with chloramine and other crap in the municipal water so I decided for the health of my family, the tanks and cost saving on carbon filters, ro membranes and DI cartridges it was worth it to put in a filtration system to end all filtration. This bad boy combines standard sodium ion exchange with a super bad@$$ self charging self purging catalytic carbon filter good for ~1.7 million gallons. I can darn near just use my tap water now for water changes. Of course ill still continue using a 5 stage RODI but im converting the one I have to a 300gpd unit running at ultra high efficiency. I'm able to push my product to waste ration to 1:.75 and my filters should last a looooong time.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;346795 said:
Wow that filtration is sick!! Does the water taste better?
oh yeah tastes great!! They put so much chloramine in the water where I live it literally smelled like chlorine in our bathrooms just from the water sitting in the toilets.