60 shallow reef

tomtom2245

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Man, "Christmas" was good to you! As for the cyano, it's gonna happen. If the cycle is done just increase water change frequency, add more flow, and manually remove as you can. Chemiclean works but you still need to address the underlying cause. Can't wait to seem them all set up and running!

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
tomtom2245;352192 said:
Man, "Christmas" was good to you! As for the cyano, it's gonna happen. If the cycle is done...!
My wife wants the garage back :)
At the moment there's a 120, 60 frag, 30im nuvo, 20L w the rock cycling, 40b that has baffles now, multiple 10s sitting around, a 2x250 fixture and a 4 bulb t5 fixture that are in different stages of gutting and reassembling, lots of boxes with equipment, a few buckets of sand and another couple of buckets with more rock that I'll cycle once the 60 is setup that will go in the nuvo tank. Have been working on the stands for the 60 L and nuvo for a few weeks now.

I've been testing to see where the rock is at cycling wise and its thru the nitrate and on the backside of the nitrites, just started phosphate which is when this crept in. Gonna wait it out a little longer before i do anything.

Found a few apaistea (spelling?) yesterday that I quickly smothered in kalk. Boo!

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Multi Tank Syndrome: 60F, 3x20L, 30L, 20H, 40B, 10

Finally made progress on the stand, contacted the manufacturer of the tank and needed to add extra bracing.
Have two sides skinned with plywood, doors cut, and one side that's drying as I had to add the trim to it first.

The hardest part so far is making the stand so that the top, sides, and front all come apart and can reassemble at the house.
The plywood at the front is for the doors, going to have two front and one side doors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Got my rodi setup today, only had two leaks in the lines that set off the gfci (outlet is behind the setup). Testing it with a 10 gallon in the guest bathroom before I make the setup permanent in the garage.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Questions:
Here's my timeline I'm thinking of, however I don't want to go too fast so please let me know if this is too much at once.
I have rock cycling now with macros. I'm going to have the stand finished next week and hoping for water in tank by Friday next. At that time I'll just be transferring the rock from a. 20L to the 60 and moving the macros to a refugium. I'll also be adding large amounts of bactiv 8. The rock was "live" when I got it but has had a few small mini cycles this past week.
I'm making a trip mid July to Denver to pickup a cuc, about 20 zoa frags, a rainbow nem, and close to 30 monti frags. These will all go onto frag racks in the tank. Only fish I will add will b clownfish and a wrasse.
Will be getting more zoas and sps later this summer.
Is this moving too fast for a bare bottom tank or should I postpone the trip to later this summer and try to spread out the coral buys?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Wife wants her garage space back:

Tanks that are currently waiting to be setup:
120, 20H, 2x10, 30 nuvo, 60 frag, 40B sump, 20L refugium (currently cycling rock).

In the background: 4 bulb t5 fixture; 2x250 metal halide fixture; 2 bulb PC fixture; and random garage stuff.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
SkyShark;352548 said:
Hahaha. Is the sand box going to be a tide pool touch tank???
Haha...That'd be awesome!

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;352552 said:
Your garage tank makes my head hurt.
Lol...you made me choke! That's only half the garage :)

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Today's progress:

Ended up being a lot bigger project than I thought. Definitely overbuilt this one but it's coming along well now :)
All I have left now is to sand some more, paint the inside white, and the exciting part will be finishing the outside. Will post pics on the finish as it involves a blowtorch.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
SkyShark;352785 said:
Sweet open air shop! A friend of yours?
Yea, he's about 15 miles outside of town. Has every tool imaginable, the picture shows half of it, just finished making the paint studio to the right of the pic and going to be installing a vent system for it next week. Been working out there 3 days a week making furniture for a table and chair company we started a few months back.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Didn't get an end of day shot but here's progress:

Doing this hardens the wood and makes it mold/water/mildew resistant.
Got the whole stand done, just have a few spots to paint white on the inside and can setup.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;352992 said:
Wow that looks cool!!
There's a lot of different variations to this. These are other projects I've done this past week. Garden boxes were for my wife.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Just made my first coral order from one of our sponsors: Mind Blowing Coral. Couldn't resist the Father's Day discount. Got utter chaos, bams, speckled fire and ice, blue macaws, etc. Woot woot!

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Beefing up floor support:
So after completing the stand and it weighing in at almost 100lbs, adding a 40b refugium, and the 60 gallons dt thinking that's close to 1K lbs now and knowing that will sit in 3 beams parallel to tank, thinking of adding a single post under where the tank would sit. Unfortunately the floor underneath sits ontop of a crawl space. Any one know how to sister joists together?