A Golden Reef Tank

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Damm you do good work. Very clean, wish my construction zones looked even half that clean lol. Love all the arches and the panel work is awesome. What are you doing for the floors?

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Maybe I should stop misrepresenting the work space. My construction zones look like disaster zones while I'm working. I just have to clean up long enough to get ready for the next mess.

We have looked at everything for floors. I would like something that can handle water for obvious reasons. But, they are encouraging us to not use tile because of floor movement.

We are planning on carpet. It's warmer on the feet (for the wife). Also, the floor was poured by a blind cement crew on a Friday afternoon when they were all drunk. If we did anything other than carpet, we would have to level everything out. It's a big open space where you would see how un-level the slabs are.

I know that's not ideal around the aquarium. I'm considering putting a couple rows of tile down around the aquarium. I know the water will ruin the carpet over time. But, if we ever moved, I would have to take out the tank and turn it into an entertainment center space or something like that. There aren't many crazy people out there like us looking for a giant built-in reef-ready system. Taking out the tank would mean fixing the floors anyway to fill in that gap in the carpet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Guess what I worked on this weekend?

I don't think I have a future in the masonry field. I think I would turn to hard drinking to cope with the aches and pains. Two solid days of hard work and I finished 95% of the rock. I have to go back and fill in a little around the arch. I had to brace those pieces while the mortar set and can't fill in around until those braces are gone.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Haha, I know how you feel. It looks great when your done, and not to complicated to do, but man does it leave you beat up, dirty and feeling like an achy old man.
Love the natural stone though, and its going to look killer once its complete!

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
This isn't a huge update yet, but I'm working on finishing all of the trim in the main space this weekend. Once that's done, I'm planning on one more weekend (maybe two weekends) of finishing up odd jobs in the basement. At that point, I can also schedule the flooring install (carpet in the main space and cork flooring I'll be installing in an adjacent room). And then...drum roll.....I actually get to start on the aquarium and aquarium equipment room. I'll spare everyone the photo dump of the woodwork update since this isn't a woodworking forum.

But, the good news is that I should be FINALLY starting on the aquarium build again by early to mid October! The tank has been sitting dry for almost a year now. I'll post up lots of pics and get this thread going again once I'm actually working on the reef.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
SynDen;n656313 said:
Haha, I know how you feel. It looks great when your done, and not to complicated to do, but man does it leave you beat up, dirty and feeling like an achy old man.
Love the natural stone though, and its going to look killer once its complete!
I'm really happy with how the stone turned out. I have a better appreciation for all of the work you put into re-tucking the brick in your basement now! Yes, I feel like an old man in body and spirit.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I know this looks like just another woodworking project but....

Today is the day I'm finally back to work on the filtration room for the tank!

There are only a few things to finish up in the rest of the basement. I'm waiting on some cork flooring I'll be installing in a few weeks and some minor trim work in that room. The carpet is on order for the main space, that's the last major item that needs to be finished there.

I've got 12 shelves to make this weekend. They will be the shelves for these racks. I'll be covering them with laminate.

Here's my plan of attack for finishing this room:

1. Finish and install shelves
2. Fabricate sumps
3. Lay out equipment in room and figure out exactly where everything is going
4. Level and secure the shelving
5. Build and install counter top
6. Plumb
7. Plan out and install control system (electronics)
8. Figure out the rock structure (Will be aiming for a very open concept, stealing a lot of ideas from Chingchai in Thailand. If you haven't seen his tank, search RC for DSPS Tank in Thailand).
9. Get this thing finally cycling???
10. Sit back and crack open a cold one (or 5) and enjoy this tank.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
10 easy steps to :beer:!

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Looking good, think we are working in opposite directions, I got the tanks running first and just finished framing my walls this week, need to build soffits now.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
scchase;n660065 said:
Looking good, think we are working in opposite directions, I got the tanks running first and just finished framing my walls this week, need to build soffits now.
Thanks scott. I think I finished the rest more quickly that I would have otherwise. I was motivated to get back to the tank. Plus, I've been dreaming about and planning this for so long, I want to try to get all of the little details right the first time. I'm not in any rush to get the tank going since there's no coral sitting in a temporary tank waiting on me. It's a fresh start.

How are you managing all of the dust with tanks running? I've made a mess of the entire house with this project. Dust in my sock drawer? How does that happen?

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
halmus;n660067 said:
Thanks scott. I think I finished the rest more quickly that I would have otherwise. I was motivated to get back to the tank. Plus, I've been dreaming about and planning this for so long, I want to try to get all of the little details right the first time. I'm not in any rush to get the tank going since there's no coral sitting in a temporary tank waiting on me. It's a fresh start.

How are you managing all of the dust with tanks running? I've made a mess of the entire house with this project. Dust in my sock drawer? How does that happen?
Still haven't got to the super dusty part (drywall, that's next) but once I do there will be a lot of tape and plastic, though from past experience drywall dust didn't seem to have much affect on the tanks. Also will do a lot of wet sanding and using a vacuum sander.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
projectx;n660153 said:
Wow looks great

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Thanks. I hate working with laminate almost as much as masonry. I'll have a nice product when it's done but it's time consuming.

I miss-counted. 16 shelves, not 12. These 8 are done. I just need to put a coat of paint on the under-side of everything. The finished ones are 29" x 60". The ones on the bench right now are 29" x 72".

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Here's what I've been working on. It doesn't look like much from the pictures, but I'm getting a lot of the backbone built for the room. It will make more sense as everything gets hooked together.

I built a framework for the counter-top that hugs the wall.

Painted the framework.

Built and installed the 14 foot long counter. It wraps around the back end of the aquarium. I'll be putting a lot of the reactors on this counter.

That counter is "L" shaped and runs over the base cabinets to the sink. (I still need to make the door and drawer fronts.)

Once that was installed, I started putting the racks back in the room with the shelves. Here are a few shots panning around the room from various angles. There are two frag tanks I've had wrapped up for years unused. I finally pulled them out. They're both 2' x 4'. One is 12" deep and the other is 9" deep. That's where they will be going. One of the other open racks near it will hold the refugium. The far rack away from everything is for dry good and general storage.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
awesome work, really starting to come together! You are a true craftsman, good sir! keep it up ;)

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
+1 to what everybody else has said. Your craftsman ship is A+ top notch work. It's funny, I think we all get mental images of what a project is going to look like.....yours just appears to actually come out looking like what you thought it would. My projects lean to one side, or stain comes out all uneven, door hinges somehow swing crooked, excessive use of wood filler to cover up gaps.....and I inevitably end up drilling into my hand and bleeding on the project!

Nice job as always! Can't wait to see it in person someday!!

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
MuralReef;660791 said:
Looks great! I wish I could do the same.
SynDen;660817 said:
awesome work, really starting to come together! You are a true craftsman, good sir! keep it up ;)
TheRealChrisBrown;660856 said:
+1 to what everybody else has said. Your craftsman ship is A+ top notch work. It's funny, I think we all get mental images of what a project is going to look like.....yours just appears to actually come out looking like what you thought it would. My projects lean to one side, or stain comes out all uneven, door hinges somehow swing crooked, excessive use of wood filler to cover up gaps.....and I inevitably end up drilling into my hand and bleeding on the project!

Nice job as always! Can't wait to see it in person someday!!
Thanks to all three of you. More unplanned issues came up with the general basement space this weekend. I spent the rest of the weekend dealing with those issues.

Two steps forward, one step back.....the mini-crisis has been averted, I hope.

I'm one weekend closer to being wet. I will be starting some acrylic work soon. Of course, there are other things that keep coming up but the wife's list is getting shorter.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Don't tell the wife the list is getting shorter or she will start adding to it. lol