Arduino and Reef Angels

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
It will work right out of the box, but I am having some PC issues getting it to push the code. Part of it might be lack of sleep lol.

The instructions are pretty easy to follow, and they have a good walk through on setting it up and programming it.

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Got my issues figured out, the documentation I am following doesnt quite match up to what I have downloaded to configure it (older docs, newer software). I finally got my config to push onto the controller, i think i am going to plug a bunch of lamps into it to make sure what I have programmed follows. I have the WiFi module setup but having a bit of a fit with getting it to push to the website. I know I am a masocist, but this is actually fun lol.

Once I have it all figured out I will do a mini writeup with all of the stuff that I have fought.

The site is pretty good, and is full of people who know more about coding than I do so that is a huge plus

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea thats the part thats hanging me up right now, getting the controller to display the default webpage, once I accomplish that then the banner is cake, it just sends the info to the reef angel website, one small thing fixes all the stuff I want to run lol

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Oh cool, thanks.
Word of warning to newlyweds, if your wife gives you tools as a gift, hurt yourself with them right off the bat.
This way you wont be expected to use them for projects around the house.
I was going to get this thing going and my tank up and running on it today and my wife decided we were going to start on the kitchen floor. Needless to say no tank work for today, tomorrow might be a miss too lol

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Forgot to update this as I finally finished the kitchen floor and was able to go back to my fish duties hahaha.

It is a bit tricky getting the controller setup, but once you get the hang of it its not all that bad.

They have released an Iphone app as well as an Android app that if you have the WiFi module, you can control the expansion module to turn on and off each channel via the phone. The latest release also allows the memory to be updated, this means you can change your timers, ATO timeout, Dosing pump time, Heater, chiller temps, and wave maker times without having to recompile the code.
If you dont have the WiFi you can use a PC via the client suite and the USB cable to monitor everything as well as send info to the web banner.

I have my internet router configured so that I can control everything even if I am away from home.

here is the web banner that you can monitor everything from if you so desire, so far I am pretty happy with it.

Awesome thread, I plan on getting an RA for the LEDs I'm going to be ordering in mere days. Seeing your success has really bolstered my confidence!

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Make sure you go onto the site and go through the forums there, lots of knowledgeable people, and the devloper(s) also answer questions.
Looks like they are 2 weeks or so out on having stock on them.

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Figured I would post an update. I got a 2nd 8port relay expansion box and eliminated the switch panel that I had the rest of my pumps etc connected to.
Adding a 2nd expansion was a bit tricky as the RAGen doesnt generate the code for it other than to set the file for the expansion into the PDE that gets sent to the controller. As usual the RA site had plenty of info and help on getting it going.
The other downside is that the Android APP doesnt have the ability to control the 2nd set of outlets *yet* but the client suite that runs on a separate computer via the WiFi does.
So far I am very happy with it.

Here is how it looks now.

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
hahaha nice, I am digging it still, got the android app running etc.
what all did you get? and dont be suprised if you get it sooner, when i ordered my expansion relay on friday i got them on monday

ask away i will be happy to help

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nice, you will like the wifi, once you get the client software installed you can do some of the changes to the unit via the wireless.
Light timing, heater on off temps, calibrating the ph probe is cake, set the unit to ph calibrate and set it in the 7 solution for a few minutes, rinse put it in the 10 solution for a few minutes, poof done.
make sure to read the documentation on setting up the wifi, get the RA gen and the arduino tool, DO NOT update the arduino tool though its not compatible with the RA.
once you have a user name on the RA site you can then get the fancy banner. they have a half dozen or so to chose from. I will see if I can get all the links gathered up that helped me get things going