Can anemones morph or fade?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Even if you could tweak the lights to create your own morph, who would want to buy it so that they would have to have the same lights that you do? There is no mystery on how to keep a sunburst looking like a sunburst. Any MH will do. So will VHO or other reef quality lights with high output and a real full spectrum (don't confuse this with LED full spectrum). I also think that real UV matters (again, don't confuse this with LED UV which is just violet).

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
jda123;321399 said:
Even if you could tweak the lights to create your own morph, who would want to buy it so that they would have to have the same lights that you do? There is no mystery on how to keep a sunburst looking like a sunburst. Any MH will do. So will VHO or other reef quality lights with high output and a real full spectrum (don't confuse this with LED full spectrum). I also think that real UV matters (again, don't confuse this with LED UV which is just violet).
You keep saying sunbursts wont stay sunbursts under leds ........what are you really trying say and why (yes we know you despise leds with a passion)? Are you saying no one running leds has had sunbursts stay looking like sunbursts? Have you ever seen Craigar's (strictly AI sol blue) tank and his sunbursts?

Last edited by a moderator:

LeviK

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
CRW Reef;321403 said:
You keep saying sunbursts wont stay sunbursts under leds ........what are you really trying say and why (yes we know you despise leds with a passion)? Are you saying no one running leds has had sunbursts stay looking like sunbursts? Have you ever seen Craigar's (strictly AI sol blue) tank and his sunbursts?
I'm not disputing those were purchased as sunbursts but in the pictures they clearly look like the rainbow I have in my tank that is the same color pattern. Let's define what makes a sunburst a sunburst. Is it the green and red on the tentacles, is it any nem with orange tentacles and faded into yellow tips? Is it only super bright orange nems with full orange tips and green base? What exactly is it because I believe that will eliminate many peoples nems from being a true Colorado sunburst in its current state. The ones craigar has is what my friends looks like full rainbow with orange tips not yellow. The claimed true Colorado sunbursts I have seen do not have red and green on the tentacles.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
We have quite a few sunbursts out at maintenance accounts and a lot of them under LED only. Never seen them lose color from being under LED. Heck I even have one maintenance account that has huge 12"+ sunbursts in it and they only have the blue'/white CFL's on them and they look gorgeous!!

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Craigars have yellow tips, pics are deceiving, as are most pics in this discussion.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Those look like rainbows. They would look more like sunbursts under different lights. They do have yellow, which is a lot better than most look. They don't look anywhere near what Josh posted or what the 'nem looks like under MH. See if Gonzo will post more pics.

LeviK

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
I agree but there is green, orange and red on the tentacles. So is what you are saying that any rainbow with yellow tips is actually a sunburst. Is it the yellow tips that make it a sunburst?

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've also seen True Colorado Sunbursts that are young, that look quite red, but color up nicely.

LeviK

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
And the above is what I have seen as a true Colorado sunburst, which 90% of the people that have paid for sunbursts, have nems that do not look like this. Also if a nem can expunge all zoo, then I see no reason they can't absorb it like a ZOA eating nudi does.