DIY Violet/Red LED Setup. Help me build it!

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
No you don't need the pots if you are using a 0-10VDC signal from the Apex.
You'll have to use different channels on the Apex for each driver so you can dim each color.
Can't wait to see what it looks like....I may have to add some different colors to mine too.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Gale,

Some sources say you cant dim the drivers under 20% and on ledgroupbuy it says 10%. With that being said do you think 8 reds and 8 cyans will be too much at >10% with 60 degree optics + my AI's?

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok guys, carts are filled. I just want to make sure I am not missing something or getting the wrong thing. Please let me know if it looks good or not. I want to place my orders today so I can get working on these in the next couple of weeks.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;151841 said:
Gale,

Some sources say you cant dim the drivers under 20% and on ledgroupbuy it says 10%. With that being said do you think 8 reds and 8 cyans will be too much at >10% with 60 degree optics + my AI's?
Kris,
I don't think it will be too much but that's just a guess. Those reds and cyans aren't Cree so they don't put out as much (I don't THINK they do anyway).
What I'd worry about is the 16 LED's on the one driver. I don't know how many the inventronics can drive but you may be ok. If it were me building it,
I'd leave the optics off of the reds. That will reduce the amount of red at depth. Optics really boost the light density. I was amazed at how much brighter
my white Crees were with optics on them compared to those without optics.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks Gale. The reason I wanted to do optics on all of them is because they will be hung 12-14" AWL. Without optics I am afraid the light will just flood the living room and the tank is right next to the couch. As far as drivers, I will be running 1 driver for the reds (8leds) 1 driver for the turquoise (8leds) and 2 drivers for the violets (15leds per driver).

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just curious due to Gale's comment about not as bright as Cree. How many people actually run their Crees at 100%? I always read about people having to turn them down below 50%.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
My blues and royal blues are at 100% and whites are 84%. I also only have 1/2 the recommended fixtures for my 125. AI recommends 1 per 12" I am 1 per 24"

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Heatsinks, fans, hanging kits and splash guards ordered from RapidLED. Not comfortable yet on doing the ledgroupbuy order. Just don't want to miss anything since shipping can take 2 weeks from ordering... Im also considering maybe throwing in a couple cool whites into the fixture.

I am going to order the LED's + everything else from http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Are you going with the Invetronics dimmers just because they don't require an external power source? The link I provided to Bravo has great prices. Little slow in shipping, but saving $10 per driver is also nice.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
cdrewferd;152317 said:
Are you going with the Invetronics dimmers just because they don't require an external power source? The link I provided to Bravo has great prices. Little slow in shipping, but saving $10 per driver is also nice.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I tried emailing them the day you posted. Haven't gotten a response yet so I'm not really expecting to get one anytime soon.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
cdrewferd;152317 said:
Honestly I haven't looked at other drivers besides meanwell.
Zooid;152373 said:
I tried emailing them the day you posted. Haven't gotten a response yet so I'm not really expecting to get one anytime soon.
If your talking about ledgroupbuy, thats odd. I received a response from a email within a hour and have been talking to one of their associates all day yesterday. Very helpful so far!!

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have to say that is a downside. I emailed them about 2 months ago with some questions, they never responded. I then emailed them when I was ready to buy, and stated that in my email, and had an email back in about 24 hours. They said the 60-27D would be in last Wednesday and they would ship my order then. Well, they still haven't shipped. Figure I'll give them until next week and if it hasn't shipped I'll cancel the order and get the ones from LEDGroupBuy.

Edit: We must have been typing at the same time. I'm pretty sure Zooid was talking about Bravo Electronics. LEDGroupBuy has awesome customer service and Milad answered all my questions for over a month before I even ordered anything from them.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
yep Bravo was the one that hasn't emailed me. I've never dealt with LEDGroupBuy but have heard good things about them.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
One of the issues Milad from ledgroupbuy brought up to me is that I might not get coverage on the ends of the aquarium with the current gameplan. Soooo not to be frustrated I added on 48 solderless connectors to my order and will also get 4 red, 4 turquoise and 8 violet LED's with 120 degree optics to go on the ends of the fixtures to help with spread if needs be.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Decided to forgo the 120 degree (no optics) option. Just finished my shopping (I hope). So I have my heatsinks, hanging kit and fans coming from rapidled and 10 turquoise, 10 deep red and 30 violets coming from ledgroupbuy. Also picked up 4 40watt dimmable inventronics drivers, 4 ac plugs and 48 thermal tape stars.