Fall DBTC and MASC Meeting

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Ok everyone the September meeting is going to be DBTC SWAP and will be hosted by our fellow reefer, Scott Chase (aka Scchase). Come and check out his awesome 480 gallon and 125 gallon reef tanks!!!!

Details:
Date: September 30, 2017
Time: 3pm Sharp - check in starts @ 2 pm
Place: click HERE for a map and address 106 S. Newbern Ct Aurora, CO - if map doesn't work please PM scchase or a member of the BOD for directions and or address - its in Aurora just SE of E470 and I-70

This meeting will count towards membership for those looking to become a badge member, just make sure you sign the sign in sheet or we wont acknowledge you were there :p Again this will be a DBTC Swap; meaning bring a coral to swap/trade, leave with a different one. For those that don't have any corals to trade at the moment, please still plan to attend as the past few times we have had dozens and dozens of coral left over that went up for grabs in the normal DBTC style.

HERE is the link for the Rules and Regulations on the DBTC program http://www.marinecolorado.org/forum/dbtc/instructions-for-dbtc/2840-don-t-break-the-chain-introduction for those that are new to the community or new to the DBTC Frag Swap.

There will be the same 3 SECTIONS as our normal DBTC program and we will have an elected decision maker on what corals fall where. The three levels we will have are as follows and I have included a brief description of each type so you can get a better idea of where your corals will fall.

Beginner: This category contains fairly common corals (non rare zoas, xenia, Kenya trees, etc.) These corals are ideal for members new to the hobby, as they grow well in newer systems or low light systems.

Standard: This category contains the majority of corals in the program, including SPS, LPS, etc. Members propagating this category of coral have a system capable of handling the coral they are asking for (i.e. established system of 4 months +, and satisfying lighting/water requirements for these corals).

Extreme: This category contains rare or normally very expensive corals (for example, bubblegum watermelon chalice). Members propagating this level of DBTC coral have a system capable of handling any coral they are asking for (i.e. established aquarium with lighting/water parameters suitable for these challenging specimens).

Check-in will start at 2pm .....there will be a cut-off time like last the last meeting it will probably be around 2:45-3pm (final cut-off time to be determined before) after the cut-off you will NOT be able to register any more corals so try to be there by 2:45 pm at the absolute latest please!!!!!!!

Frag Entry Process: Ideally each DBTC contributed to the swap, would look like this for all potential coral check in scenarios we might potentially use:
  1. Each Frag in Separate Pee Cup
  2. Pee Cup Top labeled on top with both frag name/type and username (either directly on cap or a label of some type of label placed on the cap)
  3. Hand written or printed list of all coral frags you are entering into the swap (hopefully this matches the corals you check in)
* If the coral name/type is unknown - don't worry we can help ID when you check, you can also post a clear picture under normal lighting (not all blue) here, and we may be able to identify before hand.
** If using zip lock bags for transportation, please use quality locking bags and plan to place a label on the bag for coral name/type

There will not be extra bags or pee cups there or time to re-bag them ...and nobody wants to take a coral home in their pocket :)

THERE SHOULD BE ENOUGH CORALS FOR ALL ....so even if you don't have anything to bring chances are that you will still go home with at least one!

and last but not least don't forget your COOLERS!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Alright, rock and roll!

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
This is one of my favorite meetings of the year and I love checking out Scott's tanks!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Start cutting your frags now so they have time to heal before the meeting.

Diddle822

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Interesting I'll definitely be going. Don't have a lot to offer besides some beginner stuff like cloves. But also need some advice on fragging if anyone would care to walk me through some basics it would be much appreciated.

In the coral threads there are great videos of fragging for all types by another member. Maybe someone can chime in and post a link if you can't find. Have fun fragging and don't forget your towel and eye protection too!

mbjnt

Turbo Snail
Was planning to go, started two frags to bring. But just found out our neighbor's wedding is the same day. Oh well.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Very nice!

Who is interested in some JF jack o lantern? I might cut more if needed.

Chad & BOD: I went to review rules and this appeared:

Invalid Page URL. If this is an error and the page should exist, please contact the system administrator and tell them how you got this message.

my ? Is if I bring 10 different coral do I get to pick which coral I want or is it a blind trade?

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Ghxst;n676896 said:
Who is interested in some JF jack o lantern? I might cut more if needed.
I would love a chance to get some, I had a straight orange lepto that fell victim to some stinging corals. I don't know if coral for coral trades are allowed though, last year I went to the DBTC meeting and we drew numbers out of a hat, lowest number got first pick and so on.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya sorry VB5 is being a real piece of ****, as usual. I tried updating the link but it still goes to a invalid. But to find it, it is the sticky post at the top of the forum section 'Instructions for DBTC'

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Looks like Ill be making an appearance and bringing some hot frags. Anyone interested in exploring the possibility of becoming professional maintenance techs can talk to me directly as well, we are hiring!

Friday Bump! If your on the fence about fragging, a couple of beers on a Friday night might change your mind! Don't forget some super glue (gel works great) and plugs or at least some small reef rubble. Acros and montis can be broken off by hand or bone cutters and I've seen some people here frag zoas with a screw driver before. Just use face protection with zoas PLEASE!!!

2 weeks out is probally the cut off for frags to heal nicely, encrust and survive the trip and meeting and trades if you haven't done it before.

Hope to see you all there!