Getting back in-SUS' 100 Gallon Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

SUS

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Also, anyone know how to change the title of a thread? Was supposed to say "SUS' 100 Gallon Build"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I'm really enjoying all of the different elements you're bringing into the space! Nice job with the cabinet facing.

Also, I've been looking at concrete counters for a long time wanting to build one. Yours turned out great!

Keep the pictures and updates coming.

SUS

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for the kind comments guys!

halmus;662376 said:
I'm really enjoying all of the different elements you're bringing into the space! Nice job with the cabinet facing.

Also, I've been looking at concrete counters for a long time wanting to build one. Yours turned out great!

Keep the pictures and updates coming.

Yeah, the concrete tops are fun. I have done a few projects using both "normal" concrete and this spray mix. While the spray is more work, the finished product is far superior without all the polishing... if you ever decide to do one, I'd be happy to try and answer any questions.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Very sexy build. Love the clean and modern look. Can be a hard look to pull off, very nice work

SUS

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here is a picture of my sump (Elite Aquatics RS40) along with the rest of my rock.

SUS

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Some more info in equipment...
- for flow I'm planning on (2) mp40's, though I'm debating on (2) maxspect gyres instead. Anyone have any experience/advice with these?
- Using an Eheim 1262 for the return for now. I was wanting to get the ecotech vectra, but not being Apex compatible is a huge drawback. So I will wait and see what the Neptunes COR is like when it comes out...
- I will be running 250w Radiums in the spectra on Luxcore 250/400w ballasts. For the T5's I will be starting with (3)blue plus and (1)KZ Fiji purple. I have zero experience with T5's but those bulbs seemed pretty popular so I went with them for now. Any input?
- I also plan to dose two-part via a DOS pump (later on once the demand is there)

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Glad the tap talk idea worked out for you. The build looks incredible!

SUS

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Irishman;662386 said:
Glad the tap talk idea worked out for you. The build looks incredible!

Yes, working much better! Thank you Irishman

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
SUS;n662385 said:
Some more info in equipment...
- for flow I'm planning on (2) mp40's, though I'm debating on (2) maxspect gyres instead. Anyone have any experience/advice with these?

- I also plan to dose two-part via a DOS pump (later on once the demand is there)
I really like the Maxpect Gyre, I have 1 of the XF150's on my 150 gallon tall. It is a strong water mover, but I don't go above 60% because then the noise really becomes noticeable. I also don't think the reverse flow is worth much....it isn't very effective and again it is noisy. I pretty much run it constant on 24x7 and it works well. If you had 2 though you could alternate better, something I want to do in the future.

I love the Dos pump. Like love love love love it. I can't say it enough. It is so precise and the interface with Fusion is simple to use. I like that I can dose like 30.4 mL of something....why the .4?....because I can. I don't know I just think that is geeky cool.

SUS

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
TheRealChrisBrown;662396 said:
I really like the Maxpect Gyre, I have 1 of the XF150's on my 150 gallon tall. It is a strong water mover, but I don't go above 60% because then the noise really becomes noticeable. I also don't think the reverse flow is worth much....it isn't very effective and again it is noisy. I pretty much run it constant on 24x7 and it works well. If you had 2 though you could alternate better, something I want to do in the future.

I love the Dos pump. Like love love love love it. I can't say it enough. It is so precise and the interface with Fusion is simple to use. I like that I can dose like 30.4 mL of something....why the .4?....because I can. I don't know I just think that is geeky cool.
Thanks for the input. I will have to do dig into the gyres a bit more I guess. It seems the new ones come with a controller? Is that needed if you are running them with an apex?

What is your DOS set up like? Water changes, or for dosing? What sort of length of run do you have or can it handle?

My concern is that if I mount it behind the tank (under the stairs) it may be sitting at or just below the storage tank in the garage. If that's the case, do you think a would siphon be of concern? That's why I was thinking of mounting it in the garage where it would be above the reservoir. Problem then is that it wouldn't be near the apex. Not sure how long that cord can reach?

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
The XF150 has a controller wired to it, does simple things like increase the flow by 10% increments. I think it has a pulse feature, and then it will do like 5 minutes on forward flow, and 2 minutes on reverse flow. Real basic stuff.

I use the Dos for dosing 2 part. The Dosing heads are rated to 5000 hours of run time, so while I'm dosing my 20 mL or whatever it should last a long time. My run is literally 2 or 3 feet, so I don't really know about the lengths of run. I have my dosing tubes set 3 inches above my water line so there is no chance of siphon. Neptune says you can run 24' without any head pressure loss! (https://www.neptunesystems.com/getstarted/dos/) and has a 6' Aquabus cable so you have to be that close to a module or to an EB8.

SUS

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;662407 said:
Just bought 2 gyres for my tank yesterday from brs. They were 20% Off. Can't complain about that.
Very nice. Which ones did you go with? What size tank?
I was eyeing that sale today, just couldn't pull the trigger yet. Let me know how you like them!

Status
Not open for further replies.