Getting back in-SUS' 100 Gallon Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

SUS

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well... my biggest fears came true tonight. I came home from work, was checking things out under the stand and noticed water dripping from the plumbing. Hoping it was just a leaky bulkhead I quickly checked the back of the tank/overflow and everything coming from the tank was dry. Then I noticed a crack in the back glass nearly the whole height of the tank...
I'm at a loss at this point. Tank/remodel has been nearly 2 years in the making. Depending on how my call goes tomorrow with planet aquariums there may be a ton of brand new equipment for sale!

SUS

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;667204 said:
Wow glass just cracked?!? Crazy! Hopefully planet comes through
Yep, just cracked. I was a bit worried when I filled it cause it was bowing about 1/4" in the middle. I called and talked to Planet and he assured me it was normal and nothing to worry about... I have a feeling I am S.O.L

Luckily it happened while I was home and didn't empty 100gallons onto my floor. There was only a gallon or two emptied from my ATO when I noticed the leak.

SUS

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks guys. I am talking to planet and although the tank isn't warrantied since it's not on their stand, sounds like he is going to take care of me which is a relief

SUS

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks guys. I am talking to planet and although the tank isn't warrantied since it's not on their stand, sounds like he is going to take care of me which is a relief

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Wow, major bummer. Hopefully they get you all taken care of

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Its good to hear that it should be fixed. It's disheartening that it NEEDS to be fixed.

(Speaking as someone with a stupidly heavy, extremely built-in Planet aquarium that is yet to be filled and run for any significant time.)

You made a good choice in how you mounted the tank, it should be relatively painless to pull that one out and drop a new one in.

SUS

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
halmus;667279 said:
Its good to hear that it should be fixed. It's disheartening that it NEEDS to be fixed.

(Speaking as someone with a stupidly heavy, extremely built-in Planet aquarium that is yet to be filled and run for any significant time.)

You made a good choice in how you mounted the tank, it should be relatively painless to pull that one out and drop a new one in.
Yeah, it's a bummer when you spend the money for a custom tank and something like this happens. I'm just glad I caught it before it could cause any major damage to the stand, carpet, etc...

I'm not sure how your overflow is, but mine was external with a weir cut in the back glass. The weir was cut at a 90 and didn't have any sort of fillet to it. This is where the tank cracked. I feel like it's a poor design to have a sharp corner like that's. Talking to my buddy he too had a tank (not a planet tank) crack at the same location...

Though it's a pain, the planet aquariums customer service has been awesome. Especially given that I bought the tank 2 years ago and didn't have it on one of their stands. Sounds like the solution is going to be one of their new "Crystalline" tanks. It's 60x24x21 with starfire front, 3/4" bottom, 5/8" glass, with a synergy style (tideline is the maker) overflow. It's still rimless which makes me a bit nervous but it's also one of their mass produced tanks so it should be good to go. Also, with the overflow being two holes vs a weir gives me more reassurance. I'm hoping to have the new tank in a couple weeks.

SUS

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Tagareef;667959 said:
Glad to see they went with bulkheads on this build!
That makes two of us!

Got this pig home today. For being only 3" taller, this thing is way heavier than the last one. Now the fun of plumbing begins.... again....

SUS

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Okay, here is a small update....

This picture of behind the tank is a bit old. I have since added a DOS for auto water changes and a Neptunes Lunar module. The plumbing you see goes up to the storage tanks in the garage and under the stand are two 16 gallon storage tanks for ATO and AWC

The tank itself is doing just okay... I have lost a few fish (jumping out of a small hole by the fish feeder in my mesh netting). I have added a handful of "tester" sps pieces just to see how they do. So far most of them are doing okay, some I bought were browned out and starting to show color, and 1 I lost to STN (not sure the cause...) I have also added some acans on the sand bed. I'm slowly adding fish as I move them through QT.

Unfortunately the frostbite clown jumped so I'm trying to replace her with another black ice...

I also retro fitted a 3-string Neptune lunar light into the Spectra. They are mounted inside the unit with just the lens sticking through.

SUS

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Plan is to just keep adding fish slowly and let these corals settle in before adding any more. I will probably start dosing 2-part here soon until I figure out which Carx I want to buy and have the demand that requires one.

SUS

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
SkyShark;675761 said:
Awesome! The mounting solution is great. Are the white slats pvc boards or just painted wood?
Thanks. They are just painted boards (leftover trim from the remodel)

Status
Not open for further replies.