I want it gone!!!

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If it looks good you can cut back, if you think it could be healthier it needs to be fed every few days at least.

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Okay so here is a update. I added more flow and that helped a little, I cut back on feeding, and I also got a red slime remover but it won't be here till Friday. I also got some phosphate remover so now phosphates are at 0. And till the red slime remover gets here I am doing a blackout. But turning lights on about 30 minutes for feeding and such every over day.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
IMO,-cyano bacteria is part of a healthy reef, I would never put that stuff in my tank, it kills more than just the cyano, if you want some for free I have a bunch.

little_fish

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Another issue with using the red slime remove is if it doesnt kill all of it, you can get resistant strains of cycano that are even harder to get rid of.

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well the reason I am acting quickly to this and not running the cycle is it is covering my corals I have already lost a few heads of a candy cane and almost a frogspawn. Could this possibly not be the cyano? The only reason i
Suggest this is because when I turn the tank light on there is no algae and corals are fine and starting to open but when I get home algae on corals and when I get the off they get worse. And wicked demon do you know what else it kills? Thanks for all the help by the way

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Pretty sure it isn't. Looks like all the red slime i have seen. But I will post a pic tonight

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well with my recent tank crash a lot of my CUC has died. Although at the meet I am going to buy them back

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
little_fish;87301 said:
If its not, then i would say you have a problem with nutrient export if it can grow that quick.
I have cyano that grows in my fuge. It is completely gone right when I turn on the lights but a couple hours later its all over the sandbed. Im pretty sure cyano waxes and wanes with light cycles, at least mine does. Its in the fuge though so I dont care much about it...

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
^^^^^^^
that is exactly what mine does. So I am hoping this blackout will help.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Your tank is simply having nutrient control issues, water changes and competitors are the way to go IMO, maybe even media filtration.
I dont know everything about chemi clean, but I know its an anti bacterial, and we have a lot of different bacterias in our tanks, it wont kill them all, but its not going to only kill one type.
Flow, new bulbs, bluer temp bulbs, water changes and CUC should all be parts of the over all solution.
If all you do is eliminate one of the consumers you will have excessive nutrient issues, and create an oprotunity for another pest. Hair algae, dinos, aiptasia, dictoya, bryopsis, will all have one lesscompetitor for their food, and can get out of control.

How about carbon dosing? I stopped using my bio pellets because they are known to add cyano which I have but I started dosing vinegar, less prone than vodka and sugar to cause cyano.