Named/LE Corals

Named/LE Corals

• Yes, and I don't mind paying $$$ per Polyp!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, Color and a Fair Price are more important!

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Mini T

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but with any hi-end brand, the main price difference is because of branding to differentiate them from lower priced units. There are only like 3 flat panel manufacturers, but how many brands of tv's? You think the features and plastic on the Sony really coat more than the samsung?

I've worked in advertising, branding, marketing, design and photography for the last 15 years. I just accept it for what it is at this point. :)

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
brent ward;84442 said:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but with any hi-end brand, the main price difference is because of branding to differentiate them from lower priced units. There are only like 3 flat panel manufacturers, but how many brands of tv's? You think the features and plastic on the Sony really coat more than the samsung?

I've worked in advertising, branding, marketing, design and photography for the last 15 years. I just accept it for what it is at this point. :)
I work at a location that manufactures products and yes I do know that there are differences in costs on plastics, casings, wiring, etc. Everything that it's made with, where it's made, etc DO in fact come into play when deciding prices. DO I know specifically what the difference is on Sony and Samsung, no.

Mini T

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
What I'm saying is the tv's are practically identical. What one adds, the other doesn't evening out the manufacturing costs difference. I worked for company that did around 300 new skus a year.

D&G purses can be used as an example. Same purse, same factory, theirs is several hundred percent more expensive than the knockoff sold out the backdoor.

MattL

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I read this whole thing and brent ward took my point. Lexus vs Kia, Nordstroms vs Walmart, Ethan Allen vs IKEA, Cuban vs Swisher Sweet...some are just more expensive in a free market. It is the same in every hobby. But it always relates to how "special" one is over the other. A cuban, hard to get but nothing better sitting on an exptic beach; swisher sweet easy to get on every corner store and a drunk night in college. Toadstool leathers are no where near as colorful as some of these named corals, no matter what the light it is under. So I can understand the price difference, but doesn't mean I like paying for it. We are the ones to blame be causes there is always someone out there that is willing to pay more for what their buddy doesn't have and wants (envy).

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
MattL;84451 said:
I read this whole thing and brent ward took my point. Lexus vs Kia, Nordstroms vs Walmart, Ethan Allen vs IKEA, Cuban vs Swisher Sweet...some are just more expensive in a free market. It is the same in every hobby. But it always relates to how "special" one is over the other. A cuban, hard to get but nothing better sitting on an exptic beach; swisher sweet easy to get on every corner store and a drunk night in college. Toadstool leathers are no where near as colorful as some of these named corals, no matter what the light it is under. So I can understand the price difference, but doesn't mean I like paying for it. We are the ones to blame be causes there is always someone out there that is willing to pay more for what their buddy doesn't have and wants (envy).
A different point that some others were making though is that some of these named corals are NOT rare. They are very plentiful, they just have a name attached to them and that automatically makes them expensive. The HPE's that were bought here must be prevelant enough to encompass our GB and I'm sure TONS of others around the world because of Reefbuilders and maybe that's why they were $10PP. So to have a prevelant coral all of a sudden jump to the cherry coral price just because someone decided to name it "LE" is crazy and doesn't make much sense. Seems to be the popular choice as of right now anyways.

MattL

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I see your point, however when I go out i see almost every chick in the mall has the same stupid pruse my girl has and paid tons of cash on. It isn't rare either but it doesn't make it any less expensive, it's our affliction to brand names. For some reason people feel comfortable in a name which makes us think "it must be good, if it has this name on it"; stamp of approval if you will. However if you are comparing apples to apples, and are still paying more for the same thing then yu didn't shop wisely.

dvenson

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
we purchased the HPE from the peson who had them imported and we got lucky to get these for our GB price. he did not like them so he wanted to liquidate his stock what cheery corals does with them is their business but no one on this site will ever have to pay that high price. when i can frag mine I WILL DBTC IT to help prevent this but for those who buy it at there current price im sorry. this is what makes our club great

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
brent ward;84449 said:
What I'm saying is the tv's are practically identical. What one adds, the other doesn't evening out the manufacturing costs difference. I worked for company that did around 300 new skus a year.

D&G purses can be used as an example. Same purse, same factory, theirs is several hundred percent more expensive than the knockoff sold out the backdoor.
I have seen an $800 walmart tv next to a $1500 circuit city tv, and there is a HUGE difference, and they were marketed against each other.
Big companies can low ball manufacturing into cheaper materials and labor resulting in an inferior product, this is not the case with corals.
With corals, the larger the company the better the livestock they get, mainly because they are the ones spending the $ to import and distribute.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;84518 said:
Nothing like some heated conversation to put a rift in the club, good conversation, sucks that sponsor its thinking about leaving.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
he is shooting himself in the foot by injecting himslef in these conversations ...seems more personal than professional

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;84518 said:
Nothing like some heated conversation to put a rift in the club, good conversation, sucks that sponsor its thinking about leaving.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
A Sponsor made this thread lol. The problem is that we need to be able to have REAL conversations here at MASC and allow people to give both sides of the argument without getting mad at each other.

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;84522 said:
Greed is what makes the world go round Jamie and money is more important then friendship with many people.
Kris, if a club or company(whatever) started giving away free insurance or seriously undercutting every other insurance cost on the market. How would you feel? I am simply trying to be objective and not picking on you specifically.

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
spstimie;84540 said:
Kris, if a club or company(whatever) started giving away free insurance or seriously undercutting every other insurance cost on the market. How would you feel? I am simply trying to be objective and not picking on you specifically.
Probably be mad, BUT then I'd be thinking of what I could do to make sure my business still runs. That's how businesses work, you've gotta always be looking for that next way to attract people. If that means that you have the ability to offer insurance at 50% below everyone else and still stay in business and make a profit, why not?

ChrisB

Butterfly Fish
hurrafreak;84529 said:
A Sponsor made this thread lol. The problem is that we need to be able to have REAL conversations here at MASC and allow people to give both sides of the argument without getting mad at each other.
There has deff been lots of bickering and harsh words going around here lately. And not just vendor / member conflicts but member / member. It's sad to see. :(