Named/LE Corals

Named/LE Corals

• Yes, and I don't mind paying $$$ per Polyp!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, Color and a Fair Price are more important!

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I guess my skin is thick from being in the Navy for eight years but I haven't really seen any harsh words. Animated, yes, but
I like a good agumentative thread ;)

jgonzz

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
hurrafreak;84543 said:
Probably be mad, BUT then I'd be thinking of what I could do to make sure my business still runs. That's how businesses work, you've gotta always be looking for that next way to attract people. If that means that you have the ability to offer insurance at 50% below everyone else and still stay in business and make a profit, why not?

Cut throat is def a way to earn a good rep lol

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
jgonzz;84548 said:
Cut throat is def a way to earn a good rep lol
That's how places like Wal Mart exist. They found a way to sell other peoples' stuff, make it their own, and be WAY cheaper. Do a lot of people not like wal mart, of course, but do a lot of people shop there, hell yeah! Shaun said it himself, this business is cut throat, not my words.

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
hurrafreak;84551 said:
That's how places like Wal Mart exist. They found a way to sell other peoples' stuff, make it their own, and be WAY cheaper. Do a lot of people not like wal mart, of course, but do a lot of people shop there, hell yeah! Shaun said it himself, this business is cut throat, not my words.
Just make sure you know who's throat you are cutting. With all the blood, it may be your own.

That statement goes toward both sides of the discussion, BTW.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ChrisB;84544 said:
There has deff been lots of bickering and harsh words going around here lately. And not just vendor / member conflicts but member / member. It's sad to see. :(
If we dont allow this type of interaction we get called nazis like RC, but if we allow it to happen we are less appealing to new members, it a catch 22.

It's important to have open, and yes, sometimes heated debates. I haven't really seen anything but opinions on this thread - no flames or personal attacks (of anyone here; yes a few non MASC vendors have been called dbags). I think the whole thing has been relatively civil so far. I know that this is some people's livelihood here, but honest open discussions are important to the community.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Back to original question, would I pay extra $$ for the name and hype? NO.
Would I pay extra $$ for the named and hyped pieces that I deemed I couldn't live without? YES.
Would I sell these pieces that cost me a small fortune at deeply discounted rates? NO.

As stated earlier, and have heard so many times before (even by the evil vendors), the market swings every now and again. A few years ago rainbow polyps were all the rage and they sold for $$$. Now it seems to be the chalice market that is pricey. If you don't like the current prices, DON'T PAY them. Wait a few years until they come down. Personally I really want a blue spot jawfish. I'm not willing to pay $100+ for it though. I'll wait until it comes down to $30-$50 range before I commit. It'll take a few years, my guess is until they are successfully bred in captivity for a few years then are readily available.

There are divers who dive everyday to collect coral for us. If we didn't set the demand for new and colorful pieces then they would ultimately be unable to fund the collection and shipping process. Are you able to sacrifice the collection aspect and just keep what you have/buy what's cheap until they run out of money? Why do we want the new color variations so badly? All this has already been answered in this thread. Stores can drop prices on non high-end coral all they want, its the high-end that people want. Will stores drop the pricing on high-end stuff? One sponsor has done this with sunburst nems. I've seen one of their nems, they look just like the high dollar sunbursts. Why did another sponsor increase the price of sunburst nems after seeing the demand? Its all on us. The whole point of selling cheap frags is underminded if they don't sell ALL their frags for cheap. $20 for a frag that's worth $20 leads me to wonder the regular price? Isn't that what the thread is about? Cheaper coral, no matter the name/hype? Sell me a 20 polyp SM colony for $20. A 80+ eye chalice mini colony of pink boobies for $80. The dollars and cents don't add up for the retail stores. But isn't that what they're portraying?
What we fail to understand is that we already have to rep of being to cheap state. We don't pay top dollar for most things, a few of us do. Go to other clubs' forums, West and East coast. They gladly pay $60 for a $100 polyp. How long did the SM polyp for $60 here go unsold? I'm cheap and proudly go about my day knowing so.

MY .02

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;84583 said:
Personally I really want a blue spot jawfish. I'm not willing to pay $100+ for it though. I'll wait until it comes down to $30-$50 range before I commit.
aquacon has them for $49 again

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I must of missed something, I thought this was going good. Meaning no arguing or anything...

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;84598 said:
nuff said
i got a nice one from them can't say the rest of my order went that way ...that reminds me i need to place an order and see if the are going to honor my credit

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;84602 said:
lol, at least the blue spot made it.

Reminds me...What's with the Dracula goby? Why is this guy so expensive?
is it a Tyree? ...lol

gh0st

Cleaner Shrimp
I never intended any of this as a personal attack on anyone, and I truly apologize if it came across that way, but more as a open debate.

I do stand by what I said, however, and it is because of situations like this.

Markets Boom, Markets Crash. Especially in hype/rarity driven markets. When things crash, people get hurt.

The store has several polyps of Space Monsters (shudders at having to use a name) growing out, and while I'm not thrilled about the prospect of them being passed around for free, what are you going to do?
Prices fall, people trade, life goes on.
On the upside, these polyps grow fast enough, we should be seeing some nice sized colonies soon now that everyone isn't as motivated to chop of every polyp that rears it's pretty little head.

Oceans

Cleaner Shrimp
I never really got into the whole named coral phase. If it looks nice, it looks nice. My shop once got 4 named zoa frags in but not much interest so we never did it again. I remember going to a swap last year and having to ask Jon all the names of the corals I was selling. Really kinda of funny looking back at it.
I did get three of the HPE's and they went in my personal tank. Very pretty. It is fun being a nerd as well.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
gh0st;84680 said:
The store has several polyps of Space Monsters (shudders at having to use a name) growing out, and while I'm not thrilled about the prospect of them being passed around for free, what are you going to do?
Prices fall, people trade, life goes on.
$20 for a 5-6 polyp frag would be a start...