The Dr. Has gone insane Re-build

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Balz3352;317618 said:
Wish my sand bed looked like that
You should have seen it a month ago. Really bad cyano! The corals looked bad for a month previous to the outbreak. I tried everything. The answer for me for the time being has been prodibio bio clean. It works a lot like vodka dosing and bacteria dosing.
not as expensive as people thing. IMHO it's safer than vodka too. I think my real root problem is that I started the tank with almost entirely "dry rock". It is making it take forever to really establish. I'd like to get some good Figi rock for the some time soon. I think that will help a lot.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
CRW Reef;317617 said:
Tank looks killer Mike great job man!!! But....um...wheres the zoas, youre killing me man :)
Bring me some over... Lol I left room for the "real" coral to grow. Lol and I like my sand bed. :)

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;317627 said:
You should have seen it a month ago. Really bad cyano! The corals looked bad for a month previous to the outbreak. I tried everything. The answer for me for the time being has been prodibio bio clean. It works a lot like vodka dosing and bacteria dosing.
not as expensive as people thing. IMHO it's safer than vodka too. I think my real root problem is that I started the tank with almost entirely "dry rock". It is making it take forever to really establish. I'd like to get some good Figi rock for the some time soon. I think that will help a lot.
I'll have to check this out! I too started with dry rock....

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Dr.HarlemTutu;317627 said:
I was looking into this as well as I am facing similar issues in my system. When you dose this do you need to turn off the skimmer and take carbon/gfo off line? I found some conflicting information in some forums/reviews. Just curious about your approach as it's definitely working for you. The tank looks amazing!

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
The Dr. Has gone insane Re-build

I don't know everything but here is what I did. I don't run any carbon. I have a little GFo on line, 1/4 the recommended amount, and left my skimmer on the entire time. I think having a quality skimmer is very important with this. The BioClean is very similar to vodka dosing. You should not need GFO with it and skimming is a very important part of the process. Again, this is all my just IMHO. If you wanna talk feel free to call me. 970.396.1145

I just want to add: the product directions I found stress that it can lower the oxygen levels of the aquarium. It states that you need very good water movement or to add an air stone if your water movement is insufficient. This is true of all products of this type. I just left my skimmer on and have a lot of water movement. Again, the skimming is part of how the product works IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Dr.HarlemTutu;317710 said:
I don't know everything but here is what I did. I don't run any carbon. I have a little GFo on line, 1/4 the recommended amount, and left my skimmer on the entire time. I think having a quality skimmer is very important with this. The BioClean is very similar to vodka dosing. You should not need GFO with it and skimming is a very important part of the process. Again, this is all my just IMHO. If you wanna talk feel free to call me. 970.396.1145

I just want to add: the product directions I found stress that it can lower the oxygen levels of the aquarium. It states that you need very good water movement or to add an air stone if your water movement is insufficient. This is true of all products of this type. I just left my skimmer on and have a lot of water movement. Again, the skimming is part of how the product works IMO.
Thanks for sharing. I agree with having the skimmer on if it's anything like vodka dosing because you'd want to pull as much waste as possible. Someone mentioned that they turn it off for only half hour right after dosing BioClean. I did not see that in the product directions and honestly I don't see a point in that. I think I'll give this product a shot. Really want to stay away from dropping ChemiClean in as it only solve the cyano problem temporarily and does not lower the phosphates.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;333444 said:
So it's been a while. I'd say I'll never start a tank with dry rock again!!!!! Just do live rock from the ocean.
I like the new pics! Corals r looking good.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
JuanGutz;333447 said:
Going to have to let me know when some of those are ready to frag mike.
Sure thing. They are growing nicely the last couple months. If that trend continues you are welcome to cut whatever! Would love to have back ups in town.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;333448 said:
Sure thing. They are growing nicely the last couple months. If that trend continues you are welcome to cut whatever! Would love to have back ups in town.
Sounds good! I'll probably be hitting you up when I start to get my 120 rolling. Not for a a few months but I can't wait.