Changing lights

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hi All,

Been a while! Hope everyone is doing great. So, looking to change lights. Currently I have a AIO tank. 15x12x12 with a 1st gen AI prime (non-HD). I installed it back in 2017. Messed with it over the years but getting increasingly unhappy so looking to change it. I was leaning towards a 24" T5 4 bulb set up but trying to figure out how to contain the spillover since the light would hang over 5ish inches on either side. I figured I could build a hood/shield out of black plex but I'm not sure if this is the right option. I have been watching the BRS videos and it looks like the new Prime 16HD would be a vast improvement and probably a similar price point ($200) to having to buy a T5 and bulbs and build. Thoughts? Currently just have a couple SPS, 3 hammers and some zoas. Wanting to add some more of all of these.

Cheers!

Adam

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok no one knows. Any opinions on the new prime 16HD?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
What about an aquatic life system like this, and add your existing LED if possible. Gives you a bit of punch of t5, but save some cost on not needing a new LED. You will have light spillage, but you can make a pretty effective canopy out of wood. I got the best growth out of my LED's when I supplemented for 5 hours a day with t5.

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
What about an aquatic life system like this, and add your existing LED if possible. Gives you a bit of punch of t5, but save some cost on not needing a new LED. You will have light spillage, but you can make a pretty effective canopy out of wood. I got the best growth out of my LED's when I supplemented for 5 hours a day with t5.
Looked at that. But not sure the gain with my old prime is worth it. If I went T5 I'd dump the prime entirely. But I think the spillage is going to be too much. This tank faces my front door on a stairway. So it's about 7' off the floor when you walk in. Thinking I can't get around how bad it would look.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
The Kessil that @flagg37 suggested might be a good way to go. If you haven't been thrilled with the AI, might be a good excuse to switch it up a little. I think all of the kessils have a really good look to them. I don't know about the price, but I feel like I see them used frequently.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
It’d actually help to know what you are trying to grow. The new prime doesn’t pack that much more than the old one really. A kessil would do it for sure and give you more options for growth into a larger tank. My first choice would be to use a t5 and kessil (maybe even a used 360)

To halo with spill... get a bigger tank?? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
So just got in on a beta to swap the led pod out of the existing prime with a "better" set. Excited to see what they will do