Gabe’s Double or nothing reef build

McFish

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Better late than never! Here’s the non-minimalist aquascape. Brandi wanted a bunch of caves for the fish to swim in and out of. Looks ok.

I also spent some time today building the switchboard mount!

Next step is To figure out the lighting. One side of the tank has quite the reflection and the fish are chasing their mirrored image. Any suggestions?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I wouldn't worry about the reflections. I actually intentionally use mirrors when I see aggression because they focus it more on things with a similar body shape and the mirror keeps their aggression focused on inanimate objects instead being aggressive against each other.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya agreed, a lot of fish, especially territorial ones, do that a lot when first introduced to a tank. Dont think they can actually see their reflection, unless you use a mirror. They are more likely trying to challenge the boundaries of their new home. Give them time, they'll adapt.

Tank is coming along, although you may want to consider taking up to about half that rock out, once you start growing corals or anything on those it looks like it will get real crowded fast. I think everyone does the wall of rock the first time. I know I did, but after the colonies start growing out, you will be looking for way to improve access in the tank, flow, and giving more space to grow, which means removing rock. Easier to do it now then later.

Last edited by a moderator:

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Echoing what synden said, I would consider taking out some of the rock assuming you will be growing coral in the tank. It’s hard to imagine running out of space for coral to grow at this point, but it will happen before you know it! Check out the tank of the month thread on some of the national forums to see what kind of rock base they started out with.

McFish

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well it’s been a minute since I’ve posted but figured it’s time for a quick update and stock list!

Currently have 4 AIs set up for lighting and am planning to add a T5 into the mix once I figure out the mounting situation. I believe I can mount the AIs on the canopy and put T5s on the sides (longways) after adding some fans into the side for ventilation.

Main hold up is that my AC went out and am hesitant to add more heat before getting that fixed, fishies aren’t happy with 79 degrees and the T5s would be a recipe for disaster.

Also loving the nice brown algae throughout the tank...can’t wait for that to go!

Current stock:
Two mated clowns
Nem
Cardinal fish
Sailfin Tang
Bullseye Mandarin
Snowflake eel
Longnose hawkfish

Next additions:
Blue Tang
Naso Tang

Those will give me a reason for a bigger tank :)

Quarantine setup:
Biocube 14g (I think)
Water from DT
Some PVC for chillen

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
79 isn't an issue for fish or corals unless they are colder water species like the blue spot jawfish. Most tropical fish and corals have improved growth and metabolism up until about 82 and won't be stressed or damaged until temp rises above 84.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I wouldn’t worry about 77 degrees at all. My tank runs around 79 all summer with peaks up to 80 on really hot days, we don’t have AC either. I also don’ t think a couple T5’s are going to contribute to a temp rise in your tank (at least not much) if you are worried put a fan on the tank that comes on during the daytime hours, or better yet put it on your controller if you have one. Mine comes on at a certain temp. Keep in mind I have no AC and run three halides... I have never had problems with heat. Your room temp is most likely the largest contributor to temp.maybe return pump too...

McFish

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
A controller is the next addition, definitely makes life much easier from other threads!

Just added a naso tang to the Q tank. After about 24 hours I’m seeing some larger white spotting. Doesn’t appear to be ich, more of a bacterial thing I’m guessing... here’s a pic. May also just be stress?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Too early to tell, but there is a reasonable chance that it is ich and a small chance that it is velvet (velvet starts kinda like that and transitions more of a golden color after a couple days). I would definitely be treating chloroquine phosphate or cupramine for that as a precaution if it were my fish as soon as its eating okay if it gets larger or doesnt go away in a day or two.

Last edited by a moderator:

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
A controller is the next addition, definitely makes life much easier from other threads!

Just added a naso tang to the Q tank. After about 24 hours I’m seeing some larger white spotting. Doesn’t appear to be ich, more of a bacterial thing I’m guessing... here’s a pic. May also just be stress?
They tend to spot like that when stressed.

McFish

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
That’s what I figured, treating with some Dr. Gs right now, hoping he’ll continue to eat more! These tangs are pretty cool, and they are pretty hardy from what I’ve read which is a plus

McFish

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Update:

Naso Tang in the Q tank, looking good!

Also got down on the WWC live sale, ended up with just 8 new additions for an average of $10/ea including shipping!

McFish

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
It’s been a while since I threw up an update with my new additions! Let’s just say I’ve been busy...

Potentially redoing the aquascape soon as space runs out!

Let’s start with the Torch

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

McFish

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
So long story short, almost 3 years ago, my ex and I split up, I left the house - and she killed everything in my tank (probably not on purpose....probably....)

anyways - sold everything equipment wise for $1k and swore to never get back into the hobby...anyways, I'm pretty sure I'm probably over $8k in this time around in like the past 6 months .

details:
Cade 1800 S2
Apex
Kessil ap9x x 2
2 mp40s - added a second one as I'm growing the hair algae and more flow will prolly help.
Reef Octo skimmer - trouble tuning this so not running atm
UV sterilizer cause I love ich
Refugium that probably most definitely needs some work

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Looking great. Nice come back ! How you liking the Cade so far?