Helpful tips

Matt_Arian

For Stuffing!
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;336357 said:
I have never checked my ph.
Just so I don't sound like a complete idiot. I'm wondering why you don't check pH? Aren't alkalinity, pH and carbonate all proportionately relevant to each other? Do you just work off of one or two of the parameters and adjust accordingly? I value your input as some of the best I can get, Mike (within the to 1%), so anything you tell me is 90% golden in my book.

Highway66

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I keep a spray bottle full of rodi water handy next to my sump. On the tight pattern its great for spraying salt creep and gunk off important things, i.e. floats, skimmer air intake, cleaning salinity meters. I even spray it on some of my lights that are well sealed. Salt and water just fall back into tank and I don't have to get dirty myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Matt_Arian;336368 said:
Just so I don't sound like a complete idiot. I'm wondering why you don't check pH? Aren't alkalinity, pH and carbonate all proportionately relevant to each other? Do you just work off of one or two of the parameters and adjust accordingly? I value your input as some of the best I can get, Mike (within the to 1%), so anything you tell me is 90% golden in my book.

I keep the salinity at 1.025 and constant. I check the alk about every 2 weeks and the calcium about once a month unless things don't look good. I figure a tank with a skimmer and good water movement will have good PH if everything else is good. I'm sure checking is great but just another peram. I don't want to chase. I use the KISS method. Keep it simple as "I" am stupid. Lol

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Patience is very important................you can't react to every little move in a test kit or throw money & chemicals at issues. Sps can take quit a bit of time to look great again. Stability is the watchword...

Keen eye: This is about the most important thing in my opinion. Learning to spot when a coral doesn't look quite right and identifying the possible factors as to why before it continues to go downhill is when you can become truly successful in the hobby.

All plumbing is temporary, you will in time change it so union valuves are key to take apart and adjust as your plans adjust.

Pickling lime is the same thing as kalk powder, but a lot cheaper. 1/2 tsp of Kalk in the skimmer cup removes all oders.