LED Lighting Suggestions

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
For what its worth. There have been several very long discussions on RC regarding the best ballast for Running T5. A lot of experts involved with a lot of experience. The general consensus among the T5 experts is that the Philips Advance ballast is the best on the market for running these bulbs. Also since they haven't been branded for the Aquarium trade they are also some of the cheapest.

I am running the 54W version of these myself. Here is a link to the 39W version if you are interested.

http://www.lighting-spot.com/icn2s39.html?fee=9&fep=1310&gclid=CJX2xb7d7McCFY81aQod3S4Nrg

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Walter White;360444 said:
For what its worth. There have been several very long discussions on RC regarding the best ballast for Running T5. A lot of experts involved with a lot of experience. The general consensus among the T5 experts is that the Philips Advance ballast is the best on the market for running these bulbs. Also since they haven't been branded for the Aquarium trade they are also some of the cheapest.

I am running the 54W version of these myself. Here is a link to the 39W version if you are interested.

http://www.lighting-spot.com/icn2s39.html?fee=9&fep=1310&gclid=CJX2xb7d7McCFY81aQod3S4Nrg
Hmm I'll have to try those on my big tank when I get around to the lighting

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just pulled the trigger - $1800 in lighting on the way from BRS. Hopefully my credit card is safe with them these days (I got zapped by their latest hack) :)! Finally be able to start getting some of those corals that everyone has been offering!!

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
szavoda;360448 said:
Just pulled the trigger - $1800 in lighting on the way from BRS. Hopefully my credit card is safe with them these days (I got zapped by their latest hack) :)! Finally be able to start getting some of those corals that everyone has been offering!!
Did you go with the Kessils then? What else did you get?

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea:

3x Kessil 360w-e
4x LET 36" Retro kits
4x ATI Coral Plus bulbs
4x ATI True Atinic

If the bulbs aren't exactly what I want, I will switch them out, but I think they will do ok. I have to start re-designing the lighting enclosure to work with these, but it should be pretty easy.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
Hopefully the T5's will help reduce the shimmer of the Kessils! I recently saw a tank with only Kessils and the shimmer was OUT OF CONTROL!! I love shimmer, but this was WAY too much and distracted me from enjoying the tank. The T5's should help with that. Beyond that, I have no experience with them, but have always worried about coverage.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
lpsouth1978;360481 said:
Hopefully the T5's will help reduce the shimmer of the Kessils! I recently saw a tank with only Kessils and the shimmer was OUT OF CONTROL!! I love shimmer, but this was WAY too much and distracted me from enjoying the tank. The T5's should help with that. Beyond that, I have no experience with them, but have always worried about coverage.
A lot of that is the level of surface agitation too. As long as you don't blast the surface with your pumps, the shimmer is really nice with most high end leds (especially kessils)

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a 2 bulb fixture from Aquatic Life and a 2 Bulb fixture from Aquatraders. The Aquatraders was super cheap but works well. The bulbs I use are 2 ATI Coral+, 1 ATI Blue +, 1 Geisseman aquablue. The coral+ is really pinkish if you don't run a blue light with it. With the blue light though, it's great. I am also using 1 Kessil 350 but will be swapping that out for 2 160's over my 40 breeder.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
LED Lighting Suggestions

Nice setup with the t5s. I put a 2 t5 setup on my nem tank and really like the coral plus blue plus combo from ati. On my other tank I'm running 2x48" geismann pure actinic and those are nice too.
When it comes time for pictures you'll want to take photos with a tripod under your different lights and then blend the photos together, I do this with my halide/T5 setup and that's the best photo I've been able to get yet.

Last edited by a moderator: