Let's talk flow not flo

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I'm at a loss on power head placement on my 180 gallon (6x2x2). I currently have about 1200 gph from my returns. I have 2 wp40s 1 wp25 and a tunze wavebox. I've read any where from 30-75 x tank volume for flow. Im keeping a mixed reef and don't know where or how much power my power heads should be at. I don't want to blast my corals away. Here is a pic of my new aquascape. Thanks

KCCO

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would say the highest flow without creating a sand storm or a tsunami.. And slow enough it doesn't shred your LPs or softies.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk 2

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Get a 1 to 1.5" wave going with the wavebox and use about a 1000GPH powerhead in the one of the corners to move the water around a bit. This is all that I use on my 240G.

The effectiveness of waveboxes is even harder to measure than flow pumps in terms of volume, but my corals grow and encrust better with the wavebox alone than any other flow device that I have ever owned.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
My tank is 6' x 4' and I am running 2 wp40's both on the 4' back side pushing on the W1 setting and have about 1"-1.5" wave. My return pump is a Reeflo Dart with 2 returns one on each 4' side. Seems to work really well I wasn't too sure until I saw my zoas on the front side swaying completely sheltered from a direct wave.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I would put either 1 or 2 on the same side. Using the W1 setting to get a nice wave going.