Moving a tank

Quick question in regards to moving a tank. I will be moving in two months and plan on setting up a brand new tank. Would it be best to wait til I move and start it fresh, or would it be possible to cycle the tank at my current residence with live rock (fishless cycle) for two months, then keep the sandbed with water in the tank and store the cycled water in a storage container and move the tank in a one day move (not leaving it longer than an hour between places being setup.)

Would I need to recycle my tank all over again at this point? or is this even possible to do?

I wouldnt be moving fish and coral, just live rock, sand and water.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Moving a tank

I would get a tub or trough for cheap and just cycle the rock you want in that for the next 2 months, then you could set up the tank at your new place and have precooked rock ready to go in. That would significantly shorten the tank cycle time.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
When I moved and switched fomr a 90 gallon to a 180 heres what I did.

I made arrangements so I could set the new tank up 2 weeks prior to moving. I already had cycled rock ready to go and used already live sand.

For the actuall move heres what I did.

I set up temporary holding flats for all my corals and fish, I used to small square rubbermaid tubs and mounted lights and HOB filters on them. I then drained the 90 gallon into a holding tank, removed rock and sand.

I simply then took the rock, sand and majority water and added it right to the 180 (which already had cycled live rock and sand in it and had been running for 2 weeks), I allowed the new tank to cylce for one more week, added CUC, checked levels and 2 days later added all my live stock to the new tank.

This worked awesome for me, I only lost one small acro frag and a hawk fish that decided to swim up the HOB filter.