Nuisance anemone!!

So I shut down my 30gal to start my 55 build. Sold my fish and crabs. Kept my 3 pieces of live rock. Transferred my rock, sand, and as much of the water as possible. Purchased a few new chunks of live rock from a local fish store. Have had tank up and running for around two weeks. Seems like over nite I have had a serious infestation of reddish brown anemone!!! They are growing on the glass in the sand on the heater, everywhere!! And I can't seem to get them under control! Can I take out my live rock and kill them off somehow? And does drying out the rock kill it being that it's "live rock"? Or is there another option to kill em off. I do have a emerald crab and a couple hermits in now but thats it besides a ton of anemone!!

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey Brett, if you post a pic you'll probably get an ID confirmation pretty quick. Or google aiptasia and majano (2 most notorious bad anemone hitchhikers) to see if the pics match what you have, then you can look into how to best eradicate based on the species.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Redsih brown, its likely aptasia. You can remove the rock and let it dry for a few days, this will kill the aptasia, however this will also kill ff the live organsims in the rock.

You can also try Aptasia X, depending on how bad the infestation is this can work, Ive had good luck with it in the past on small breakouts.

You can also try live stock that will feed on the aptasia such as peppermint shrimp or file fish. These are hit or miss, some will eat it, some will not.