overflow slurp?

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
is there anything I can do to fix this noise?? I just set up my wet/dry and overflow. the water is slurping like crazy going down into my filter. Help!

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
just get rid of the wet/dry ...lol....bioballs are nitrate traps :(

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sounds like your pump is a little oversized. Put a valve on the discharge side of the pump and throttle it down a little.

phillipj2

Butterfly Fish
I just fixed the same problem I had to increase flow on my drain side. What's happening usually is the drain is draining too slow and it was filling up then draining fast. Try playing with your pump ball valve to try to equal it out.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
i just have a flexible hose from the overflow to the filter. I just stuck a big *** hermit crab shell on the hole and it stopped LOL it's not a perm fix but its good enough for tonight at least. On mine it was the water was draining too fast from the overflow and insead of the overflow filling with water it would drain down to the hole so half water and half air getting into the tubing :/

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Zooid;91104 said:
Sounds like your pump is a little oversized. Put a valve on the discharge side of the pump and throttle it down a little.
Hey off subject but I messaged you on here and emailed. My roomie wanted 2 clowns but got impatient and bought a goby. He's only adding a couple a week to allow the tank to adjust. Maybe next week?

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Denvercherub;91108 said:
Hey off subject but I messaged you on here and emailed. My roomie wanted 2 clowns but got impatient and bought a goby. He's only adding a couple a week to allow the tank to adjust. Maybe next week?
Slow down, I add fish months apart. Get a ball valve at a hardware store tomorrow. My advice, take some of the tubing in with you, it'll potentially save you multiple trips to the store. Get those alligator clamps too, only place I've seen them is ace. Expensive, but won't rust out either.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Denvercherub;91107 said:
i just have a flexible hose from the overflow to the filter. I just stuck a big *** hermit crab shell on the hole and it stopped LOL it's not a perm fix but its good enough for tonight at least. On mine it was the water was draining too fast from the overflow and insead of the overflow filling with water it would drain down to the hole so half water and half air getting into the tubing :/
So your pump is undersized then?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Denvercherub;91108 said:
Sounds good.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;91112 said:
Google gurgle buster.

Sent from my Incredible using Tapatalk
Well I checked what you said and seen a video of someones finished product. I went to Lowes and bought a PVC cap and drilled a hole and put a tube at the end then bought a larged PVC sleeve to put around the other PVC. I drilled holes into my original PVC so when the water goes over the sleeve it would drain out of the holes. I'm not sure the purpose of the rubber tube at the end but the sound is fixed! Cost 88 cents lol. Thanks