Sk8now2003 buyer beware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
and for all wondering this is the original ad, "i suppose i will try this approach and sell the tank, stand, lights, liverock and live stock for 300$
does not include protein skimmer or wavebox. but will include return pump. i would really like this gone by the weekend. shoot me an offer. will entertain trades and other offers."

where i parted with the tank and stand for $100.

i had just taken everything out of the tank the night before and removed the inhabitants the day he came by. so its not like i left it dirty on purpose. I do believe in good business, but i am not a business. i am a person getting rid of USED items i no longer need. when the tank was full i did not see any "major" scratches. if i thought there were "major" scratches i wouldve mentioned them. just like a mentioned that one of the overflows was removed. i didnt keep anything from him, that i was aware of.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
asn-naso;274687 said:
But I also believe this is a communality, and within that community there should be some trust. This is not craigslist, or ebay. I have been burned, and I have also tried to go out of my way to make sure everything I sell is what the buyer expected or better.
+1

The whole reason we choose to buy from members on this site is because we have established trust in our community. I know Austin and he is a great guy, I don't think he would throw someone under the bus just to be mean. If he warns us about someone in the community no one else seems to know then I will take his warning and just be cautious in the future with this seller. I don't think it would be fair to flat out deny sk8 future trades or sales because he did tell him it was scratched. "nothing major" is personal opinion and I don't think should have been a determining factor.

This is just my opinion.

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Most people here are supporting that you did not do anything intentionally dishonest. There was some concern that it might be the case, but very few were directly accusing you of that.

The question is now you have a dissatisfied buyer that does not feel he got what he was after, what, if anything, are you going to do about this? It is not that a person or company may make a mistake that is the issue, it is the character shown during trying to rectify the mistake that makes the difference.

I am not personally saying you should do anything, but opinions on that may differ.

We are talking about someone who got a 100 gallon, drilled tank with a stand that holds water for $100... I don't see much sympathy for the buyer as that is a steal. He could turn around and sell it back on Craigslist for at least what he paid for it maybe more. And like everyone else said, you won't be able to see the scratches once it's full of water. But for $100 for that size tank/stand what do you expect?

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
IMO buyer is at fault for not checking. Hell $100 for a 120g and stand is a steal! Even if there are scratches and missing an overflow.

If you don't want a tank with scratches buy new. 100% of the time tanks will have scratches when bought used. Now how many and such is variable.

kutcha

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
damn if i had 100$ i would of bought the stand/tank cleaned it up threw a overflow on their and resold for 300 or more on CL like i said before fill it up and see if you can even see any scratches when it is full

and i even asked the buyer, "what do you want me to do?" he said nothing and decided to post this. so here's what i am going to do, nothing. you put me on blast in front of the whole community, thanks. i was trying to see what you wanted as compensation, and you never replied, besides saying, "i don't know what is fair." so heres the deal. you get nothing, fill up the tank and enjoy it, or resell it. i am no longer dealing with this matter, you got a great deal and can probably make money off of it.

newtoreef

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I know Austin as well I have sold him my old 210 when I was asked of there were any major scratches I told him the truth. I feel as if no matter the price in this hobby one should be honest.also think a tank should be cleaned before its sold. Just my .2 cents

Munch;274703 said:
I'm amazed anyone buys anything that isn't cleaned.

When I sell stuff, I soak in vinegar, and clean it as much as possible. I want it to look as nice as possible, allow the buyer to see it's true condition, and finally get a better price.

I think looking at the condition of the tank and stand in its original condition would have been enough of a warning sign.
+1 awesome seller. Cleans it better than if I were to buy it new

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've dealt with both people in this situation and came away happy with both transactions. I got exactly what I paid for. In fact John (sk8now2003) drove to deliver my stuff when my car broke down at the bank.Maybe there were no major scratches that he could see because as we all know, when a tank is full you can't see them. After that it sounds like a bunch of misinterpretation of emails/PMs. It was a good deal for the tank and stand. I don't think anybody was out to get over on anyone but the emails escalated and tempers flared. Can you sell the tank to someone and get your money back?

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't think I got screwed. It was 100 $ if I helped him find a home for the live rock and livestock because he wasn't able to and wanted the tank gone. I found a home and even delivered it for him. 100 is a good deal on almost anytank and I knew it needed bulkheads and an overflow. I was under the impression no major scratches. I challenge any one to come look at the tank. It is rediculous the amount of scratches. The picture don't do justice. Ill sell ot for 125 $ that is what I have into it (sheet of acrylic to fix overflow) That doesn't include gas to get it or time to clean it up that I am out. It seriously looks like the tank was cleaned with steel wool. And a few places where the scratches are extremely deep, they have algae growing in them. I tried solving over email (all are at beginning of post) I told he I wasn't sure what was fair on compensation I would send him pics first. His reply was " should have looked closer when you bought it" and " sorry don't know what to tell you" that is why I btought this up to the community.

Things happen and I understand that. It was the unwillingness to assist and the not my problem mentality that upset me.

you didnt tell me what you wanted. you dont notice scratches in a tank when it was full. if you stopped complaining and just told me what compensation you were looking for this couldve been settled. since you never told me what you wanted, i told you i dont know what you want me to do about it, because you never told me what to do about it. but we have this settled. you get the tank. fill it up, i bet you cant see the scratches as i havent. you got a good deal. there was someone on here who offered to buy the tank from you. so chin up, sell the tank and move on if you are not happy with it. everyone else is happy with the products they have bought from me.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Ok folks this one has ridden its public coarse. Please take any further convo to PMs and be sure to let the BOD know if you need any help and or have any issues you think we might be able to control or help you with.

As always PM myself or any of the other BOD members if you have any questions. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.