skimmer help

robert.talarico

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just bought a skimmer. First one I've owned. It's really making me feel deficient. The bubbles go up the cone and overflow into the collection cup. But the cup just fills up with water instantly. If I adjust the bubbles down the never reach the top of the cone meaning it never collects anything? Will it build up organic waste and eventually spill over into the cup? Do I need to adjust it so the bubble are to the very top of the cone?

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
run it wide open for a few days then adjust after a week or so. Depending on how Wet or Dry you want to skim will determine how log it takes to fill the cup however to break in let it run wide open for 4 or 5 days (IMO). It takes time for the bubbles to build up once you open the air.

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
First off what kind of skimmer is it? And by wide open he does not mean water overflowing the cone, you would fill your cup in 30 seconds. knowing what kind of skimmer will help us tell you how to adjust it to the right breakin level.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Off The Deep End;90946 said:
First off what kind of skimmer is it? And by wide open he does not mean water overflowing the cone, you would fill your cup in 30 seconds. knowing what kind of skimmer will help us tell you how to adjust it to the right breakin level.
Yup, what kind of skimmer it? The skimmer will go through a break in period.

I would say, adjust the bubbles until they are roughly halfway up, then go from there in a day or two

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;90947 said:
Yup, what kind of skimmer it? The skimmer will go through a break in period.

I would say, adjust the bubbles until they are roughly halfway up, then go from there in a day or two

+1 start half way up the cone and take your time it will take a day or two to break in.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
robert.talarico;90959 said:
So my fuge doesn't have a spot for filter media. I was running a HOB power filter on it. Since I have the skimmer now can I get rid of the HOB?
I'm not familiar with those skimmers, so I'm not sure how to adjust it.

My fuge doesn't have a place for media either, I have to use bags of media. You could use a reactor for media also.

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would say once the skimmer starts producing the take the HOB off. IMO Keep it so you can put it on there if there is a need in the future. Could you hang it on your sump?

robert.talarico

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea I could. I just feel like its the reason for all my algae and my nitrates. Just all the stuff that collects inside on the pad. The collection cup can be emptied daily. The filter pad not so much. I mean could that be the case?

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
From what i can see that skimmer can take up to 2.5 weeks to break in but after it does you will be very happy with it so dont get discouraged if its not producing right away. There is also a good chance you will have a ton of micro bubbles during the break in period but they will go away. Is this the one with the adjustment knob on the side right next to the collection cup?

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
robert.talarico;90963 said:
Yea I could. I just feel like its the reason for all my algae and my nitrates. Just all the stuff that collects inside on the pad. The collection cup can be emptied daily. The filter pad not so much. I mean could that be the case?
Yes those pads are nitrate factories! take it off and get a mesh media bag and drop it in your sump in a high flow area.

robert.talarico

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea the knob is right next to the cup. The guy said venturi or something. Is this a good skimmer? It was cheap, small and rated 10 gallons more than my diminutive 20 gallon system

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
That is a good skimmer it has a needle wheel impellor and is rated to 30g. I think othercents has the same one and is in the denver area so if you get really stumped you might ask him. Is it used?