Vortech mp40wes

I have a used one, it is quite for a day or so then seems to move slightly, the more it moves the louder it gets from a range of hums to a jack hammeresque sound. Its on a 45g tank but the water movement is great and can be tuned out by turning up the TV or adjusting its placement.

Edit,

The humming is not that loud as i just read that if the bearings are bad I would hear it from downstairs. Also my cat might be moving the cord on the dry side making it off balance to make the noise. Damn cat. I like my MP40 but if it wasn't given to me I wouldn't spend that much cash.

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
280g-reefman;190873 said:
So after speaking with customer service I am out of luck. I could pay $200 to have them fix the dryside or I could simply buy some new 6095. hmmmmmmmmmmm. Just fair warning to anyone considering buying a used pump out of warranty.
Wow $200 fix?, what a RIP! I only paid $120 (+ shipping) for Alpine to fix/replace the LCD screen on my car DVD, and out of warranty. Totally more advanced tech then powerhead bearings imo, lol! I know two completely different things, BUT seems like Ecotech is full of ****.

Thanks for the warning, because I've seen them come up (used) on RC frequently. That would be sweet if the DIY $20 method fixed yours though. Report back!

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
280g-reefman;190604 said:
See to me it makes no sense to buy a product and not be able to run it at full power without adverse side effects. Especially for a $450 pump.
Dam 450$? That's the problem you over paired for the pump! I have 3 and didn't pay more then 300 ea for mine! Guess it all in who you know! Awesome pumps IMO run mine 100% and can't really hear them unless standing wright next to them!

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
$450 latest model, new. How old were yours and which controller?

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Nice! Unfortunately most of us don't know anyone who knows someone who got some that "fell off the back of a truck". :D

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ghosty;190915 said:
Nice! Unfortunately most of us don't know anyone who knows someone who got some that "fell off the back of a truck". :D
The thing is there is only one middel man and let's just say he passed the bar!

280g-reefman

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So here is what I have learned.

1. Don't just buy something because it is well marketed, expensive(meaning you think it is quality equipment) and it gets a lot of hype.
2. Buyer beware on used products out of warranty.
3. Talk to haddonisreef if you ever need a good deal on a pump. lol

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Ah ha or like he said someone who has passed the bar :p

Lol btw I am in agreement that Mp40s are loud compared to internal pumps for sure!!!!!! Mine sound like mini airplanes when at full bore, dang it!!!

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Ahh, I see. All good, I'm sure everyone knows I was joking about the "fell off the back of a truck" of course. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

280g-reefman

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;190957 said:
Ah ha or like he said someone who has passed the bar :p

Lol btw I am in agreement that Mp40s are loud compared to internal pumps for sure!!!!!! Mine sound like mini airplanes when at full bore, dang it!!!
Love that analogy. I always compared them to a rear differential going out.