WP 40's or 60's or RW20s?

Mermaid Gardens

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Need some input. Deciding whether to order 2 Jebao WP40's or step up to 2 wp60's or the new RW 20's for my 180. Their charts are hard to find and vague. Recomend WP40 for 90-150. WP60 for 150-300 and the RW20 as the alternate New and improved option to the WP60. I want Vortex but don't want to spend that much, still need lights too...
Anyone run 2 wp60's or the RW20's in a 6' tank, is it to much? Would 2 wp40's be enough?
Let me know what you think please!

Mermaid Gardens

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sorry tried to post this under the Jebao wavemaker section under lighting and equipment not sure why it ended up where it did. Will try to get it right next time...

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Mermaid Gardens;346985 said:
Sorry tried to post this under the Jebao wavemaker section under lighting and equipment not sure why it ended up where it did. Will try to get it right next time...
Fixed :)

I put an RW20 in my 180 and I wish I had gone with the RW15. The 20 will stir up the tank when powered up. The box they make to attach it to the Apex is working very well.

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
FWIW... I have two RW8 on a 5'x2'x2' 150 gallon tank and get plenty of flow(can't even run them at 100%). I am sure that you'll get what you are looking for out RW15s.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'd skip the Jaebo all together. Most of mine died right at the 1 year mark...

quillin35

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
why not look in to the aqua medic ecodrifts . I am using one now and it works great. the make 4 different version an 15.0 or an 8.0 would probably work great for your tank and it has a light sensor that shuts it down to 50% power when your lights go out for the night.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Munch;347013 said:
I'd skip the Jaebo all together. Most of mine died right at the 1 year mark...
I think this is synonymous with all Jaebo products. These are essentially cheap Chinese knock-offs and dont expect any of them to run past a year or so. This is certainly one of those things that you get what you pay for. If you want a quality product that will last then look into better products like ecotech or vortech pumps.
That being said I have 2 jaebo pumps on my 75 and they have been running well for about a year and half. Although I will note that as I work toward my big tank, I will be going for more quality and no jaebos, or other cheap knock-offs, will be on it. As the investment in the larger tanks increases, to me, it only makes sense to go with better reliability because failures in cheap equipment can add up to a much greater lose in the end.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
I vote Jebao RW15 as well. I have 2 RW20's for my 300g and they produce A LOT of flow. I was deciding between the Vortech pumps and these but could not justify the added cost of the Vortech's. Even if these only last 1 year, I will get 4 years out of them before I reach the cost of going with MP60's. Even the Vortech's go out eventually, and the dry side replacement is quite expensive. I also like that I don't have that huge dry side hanging outside of my tank, and I can direct the flow rather than having the Vortech's pointing only straight forward (just personal preference I suppose).

quillin35

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have one ecodrift in my tank its fully programmable. I can set the power from 50% to 100%. it does with one what it takes 2 jebao to do. the 15.0 is rated for up too a 400 gallon tank and 2000 to 3962 gph.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
quillin35;347029 said:
I have one ecodrift in my tank its fully programmable. I can set the power from 50% to 100%. it does with one what it takes 2 jebao to do. the 15.0 is rated for up too a 400 gallon tank and 2000 to 3962 gph.
Lol... The eco drifts are almost the same as jebaos.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
quillin35;347033 said:
correct I just there's other options out there besides something that apparently only last a year or so..
True but you don't know if the Aquamedic pumps will last more than a year. They have only been out 6-8 months.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
The Ecodrift pumps look a lot like the Jebao WP pumps. The flow looks like it would be more laminar than the RW pumps or Vortechs. I think any of them will work for you. I have never used the Ecodrift pumps, but they look like Jebao or Tunze pumps, so should work well. I have used the Jebao and Vortech pumps and can say that I CANNOT say that the Vortech's (anything made by Ecotech Marine) is worth the astronomical cost they have associated with them.

I consider ALL pumps and lights to be consumable and feel they will ALL eventually need replacement. I have yet to find one that did not need to be upgraded or replaced at some point, including Vortech pumps. Higher cost DOES NOT always mean better or longer lasting, just that there are people out there that are willing to pay for a Lamborghini when they are really getting a Honda. It is a great, reliable product, but it is no Lamborghini.

Mermaid Gardens

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a Jabao WP 25 (I think) on my 75 and some ancient fixed rate pump about the same opposite. Over a year old and still running... Can get 2 wp60's for $106 and 2 RW15 for 160 and rw20 180. Have to look up the ecodrift and see what they are. My 180 is full, holding water after fixing my bulkhead fittings, and cycling. I will let you know what I order and how they work. Thanks for the thoughts.