Wrasse ID. Horrible pic best I could do.

jagermeister

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
I saw him at Elite a couple days ago and chuckled as the staff had written down the name of the fish on the glass and then erased it and left "wrasse". I saw why when I saw the wrasse as I had no idea what he was either.

I would suggest, if you have an account with either reef to reef or reefcentral, posting your pics on there. There's a wrasse expert who posts on both sites with the screen name 'evolved' who can probably identify it for you.

J.guokas

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
jagermeister;280729 said:
I saw him at Elite a couple days ago and chuckled as the staff had written down the name of the fish on the glass and then erased it and left "wrasse". I saw why when I saw the wrasse as I had no idea what he was either.

I would suggest, if you have an account with either reef to reef or reefcentral, posting your pics on there. There's a wrasse expert who posts on both sites with the screen name 'evolved' who can probably identify it for you.
I actually posted the pic on his thread last. Patiently waiting for a response.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Juvenile fairy wrasse of some flavor

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Definitely looks like a fairy wrasse, probably too young to ID for sure. If I had to guess I'd say Cirhillabrus rubriventralis (red-fin fairy wrasse)

J.guokas

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Catfish Charlie;280798 said:
Interesting wrasse! Your first photo my thought was a Blue Sided Fairy Wrasse. The second photo what "popped in my head" was a Female Rhomboid Wrasse. I don't believe it to be ether one of them, but still an interesting fish!
ID'ing this wrasse has become a task for sure. Its a very beautiful fish.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
rubiventralis complex most likely hard to tell which on though there are around 6 species that are almost all identical as females/juvis

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
These things will cross breed quite a bit in the wild. It is totally possible that you have a hybrid

As one of the national boards... there are some real wrasse lovers out there.

fonduecat

Cleaner Shrimp
That's really funny, I was at Elite too when I saw that wrasse. I thought it was odd it wasn't labeled. I ended up getting the Tri-color they had in stock instead.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Nope Seth better photos helped its a juvi/female punctatus fairy wrasse

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
scchase;284433 said:
Nope Seth better photos helped its a juvi/female punctatus fairy wrasse
I refer back to my first post and 100% agree with this ID, was not sure which type of juvi fairy wrasse, but knew it was and this nailed it!