¡RP's 250 build!

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Not sure what those packets are, but if you dip (or even bath), you will only temporarily attack the trophonts on the fish. Then, you'd put them right back into the infested tank. More stressed out than they were before because of the dip. They've seen that Ich trophonts sometimes don't release from a fish's body even after 24 hours in freshwater (of course long after the fish itself died). Freshwater is thought to be one of the quickest ways to kill Ich (osmotic pressure changes causes most marine organisms with exoskeleton to explode).

Did the 2 dead fish die in the tank? Have to consider that this caused the Ich trophonts in the tank to go up quite a bit, as their bodies were covered in it, now the Ich is searching for a new live host.

Your tank is infested, I would act quick and jump to a full on display tank treatment of whatever you decide and wouldn't bother with any dips or baths, or taking fish out unless it is to get them in QT. My $.02.

Also, you want to turn off your skimmer and pull GFO/carbon for any treatment you try.

Some believe that unless you have massive UV capability for high flow, you're not putting a big dent in an infestation (whereas UV may help cut down Ich if it is at lower but sustained level in the tank).

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: ¡RP's 250 build!

Day 1 of CP, dosed 2.75 teaspoons. Lights off, skimmer off, UV off, ATS offline.

It seems the ich lifecycles are in different stages on the fish.
The wrasses don't seem to have it at all, as expected
The Sailfin is cleared of spots, has been for a few days
The Vlamingii is 3/4 covered, 1/4 clear
The Sohol is completely covered

Pulled some rock, will continue as the trough gets more water.
I'm thinking of trashing the sand
I'm going to use a filter sock and lanthanum to control po4.
Still researching Prime and CP, don't want an adverse reaction.
Ammonia monitored by the little Seachem do-hickey (yes, that's the medical term for it.)

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member

Day 2, the sohol is still flashing. Decreased feeding response.

What do you think of this idea; replace the current rock with a pvc structure? That will be covered in foam, and filled with sand to keep it grounded. I'll make arches and caves out of eggcrate and pvc fittings, also covered in foam/epoxy/sand/with pieces of rock here and there.

Mainly, I don't want to pull rock in case I have to medicate again. I think replacing pvc/foam will be nicer to deal with.

Ideally, I want the look of Gooch and his structures, but I can't really afford several hundred dollars in ceramic structures.

Some ideas of Goochs stuff

Mike Lemke what can you do for me? Let's talk

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I may be able to do something like that... not much different than the frag rack really. You buy the clay and we'll talk. It would cost several hundred dollars to have someone make. (my mugs are $30) but i may be interested in some experimentation.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I think a couple nice arches would look great. 1 lower and wide and another taller one. maybe 1 tower in between. the largest one maybe 3is feet wide done in 2 parts and epoxy together in tank?

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
H2O_intolerant;232296 said:
Day 1 of CP, dosed 2.75 teaspoons. Lights off, skimmer off, UV off, ATS offline.

I'm going to use a filter sock and lanthanum to control po4.
Still researching Prime and CP, don't want an adverse reaction.
Ammonia monitored by the little Seachem do-hickey (yes, that's the medical term for it.)
When I ran lanthanum, I did notice that the navarchus (before I pulled it out) would have a head lesion for about 24 hours after using it. At first I thought it a coincidence/unrelated, but seems it may have been related. So, my suggestion would be that you hold off on the lanthanum until after the CP to avoid more stress, also in case there is any other chemical reaction between these two. Unless you Lougled it to see there is no interaction.

I think the Prime issue is only when you use copper, since Prime (as a reducing agent for Ammonia) also reduces the copper from the nontoxic to the toxic form. I don't think it interacts with any other medication, but maybe ask Bob Fenner on WWM question?

Those aquascapes (by Gooch) are amazing. Mike Lemke, you can do this kind of stuff? Can't wait to see pics, I may line up for an order after that! I like live rock, but just think my aquascape looks like a spilled a box of rocks in a tank. It used to be all fit together in proportion, until I started tearing it apart to chase out bad fish.

Do you have your medical do-hickey card? To get it legally? Do you dose it in a brownie or a water bong reactor?

Hope the sohal pulls through! Most I talked to on CP echoed Adam's comment that you really can't OD on it with fish. Whereas, it really does attack the Ich. You may want to temporarly double (or why not, triple) the dose, in hope that it helps the Sohal pull through? That may reduce more Ich attacking it although it will still have to rally and fight off the ones already latched on.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member

daverf;232578 said:
When I ran lanthanum, I did notice that the navarchus (before I pulled it out) would have a head lesion for about 24 hours after using it. At first I thought it a coincidence/unrelated, but seems it may have been related. So, my suggestion would be that you hold off on the lanthanum until after the CP to avoid more stress, also in case there is any other chemical reaction between these two. Unless you Lougled it to see there is no interaction.

I think the Prime issue is only when you use copper, since Prime (as a reducing agent for Ammonia) also reduces the copper from the nontoxic to the toxic form. I don't think it interacts with any other medication, but maybe ask Bob Fenner on WWM question?

Those aquascapes (by Gooch) are amazing. Mike Lemke, you can do this kind of stuff? Can't wait to see pics, I may line up for an order after that! I like live rock, but just think my aquascape looks like a spilled a box of rocks in a tank. It used to be all fit together in proportion, until I started tearing it apart to chase out bad fish.

Do you have your medical do-hickey card? To get it legally? Do you dose it in a brownie or a water bong reactor?

Hope the sohal pulls through! Most I talked to on CP echoed Adam's comment that you really can't OD on it with fish. Whereas, it really does attack the Ich. You may want to temporarly double (or why not, triple) the dose, in hope that it helps the Sohal pull through? That may reduce more Ich attacking it although it will still have to rally and fight off the ones already latched on.
The only thing I could find on lanthanum and cp was anti-malarials and phosphate binders need to be taken 2 hours apart and closely monitored. So I guess w/c and bio-pellets it will be for nutrient control.

Dr Fishman hasn't gotten back to me, I'm assuming he will on Monday.

Mike says he'd experiment with the scapes, I'm hoping for the best :)

Day 3, added another 2.75 teaspoons of cp. Everyone but the Vlamingii seems to be happy. Haven't fed yet, I'll report back on that later.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Day 6, increased appetite, actually they are swimming around like normal. I might have a oxygen issue, the sohol hangs out in front of powerheads. The Sailfin seems to have shaken off ich like a boss. I can't tell if there are spots on the Sohol or not, it looks like sand, but I'll assume ich until further notice. No change in the vlamingii, well he fixed his popeye. He is either showing diagonal stress coloration or still has ich. The plan for tonight is mix up 20g for a w/c, then tomorrow do it and redose for 20g @ 3x dosage.

Dr. Fishman never answered me back, sent two e-mails but no response.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Awesome news homes. Now that I think about it, I have noticed the same low oxygen type responses, so you're probably right. Dissolved oxygen probably takes a double whammy with turning the skimmer off. Or maybe just looking for relief from the Ich discomfort, who knows. Maybe the vlamingi has some HLLE starting with all the stress and water issues that meds cause? Hopefully it will clear up, and the water change will help. Dr Fishman answered his phone, you could probably try calling him.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
daverf;233792 said:
Awesome news homes. Now that I think about it, I have noticed the same low oxygen type responses, so you're probably right. Dissolved oxygen probably takes a double whammy with turning the skimmer off. Or maybe just looking for relief from the Ich discomfort, who knows. Maybe the vlamingi has some HLLE starting with all the stress and water issues that meds cause? Hopefully it will clear up, and the water change will help. Dr Fishman answered his phone, you could probably try calling him.
Good point, I'll switch on the air pump tonight to help with the o2. HLLE, well that's another demon. I'm not sure if its nutritional, I feed just about everything under the sun...everyday. The BRS Rox isn't plumbed in. I'll see what Bob has to say on the matter.

I was going to call so many people on my lunch, then I got a short lunch, hopefully guys answer after work.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
This is what I did; left the room light on to breakdown the med, performed w/c, redosed for the whole tank.

Just to add stress to already stressed fish...I took out all LR and put in their own PVC jungle gym. Didn't take out sand because of the wrasse that sleeps in there. All the rock is currently on life support in the stock tank. I even added a source of organics.

The good news is that all fish seem spot free! Round one, me. Can't wait until the crypto mutates and becomes tolerant of CP....hopefully not.

For filtration, well; there's bio-pellets that are still cycling, some nitrate reducer, some ammonia binders, yup...I'm sucking.

Stay tuned for the next installment!

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
awesome news in the last post...hope the spots are still goners!