Arduino and Reef Angels

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
How do you code an arduino? I know Reef Angel says it's based on the arduino, but with a different interface? Basically, I'm thinking of getting a Reef Angel, but I'm coding challenged. Should I scrap the RA?

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
no idea ....let us know how it goes if you get one i've been interested in them

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Arduino use's C++ and is open source, which means most of the code is posted inline. I think it comes preloaded with the coding you will need to start, but you can add and change code at will.

The preloaded code works well. There is also a windows based configuration software that generates the code. Are you getting the wireless card with it?

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
There is a very simple to use config tool, I downloaded it to see what was involved with it. I am concidering getting one as well.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm thinking of getting the wireless card.

Since I don't know C++, should I just stick with the RA? The alternative being, getting an arduino and diy a controller. I'm mainly interested in everything an Apex Jr can do.

I priced everything out and it will be $370 shipped with most of the bells and whistles, no orp sensor. Seems reasonable, considering the coding can get much more advanced than the Apex Jr.

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I will let you know how it works, I pulled the trigger last night, got the wireless card for it as well. Momma was in an agreeable mood lolol

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
well see, I drove the guy nuts with questions yesterday, but for the price and all the add ons, figured was the best bang for the buck

Sweet! Let me know if you like the wifi. I have been think of getting that add-on. I think it would cool to get the android app working with the controller.

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
steamboat;131104 said:
Sweet! Let me know if you like the wifi. I have been think of getting that add-on. I think it would cool to get the android app working with the controller.
How do you like the controller? I have not had any other controllers so this will be a learning experiance for sure.

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cool cant wait. Communication with him so far has been great and the people on the forums for it also seem helpful. Hope I get it this week

hrmmm just noticed this one...

As a geek, I can tell you that the Arduino platform is pretty powerful given it's simplicity! I've done a lot with the older mega packages but havent been plugged in as much lately. From first glance the fact that Reef Angels points out the whole block diagram and how it is put together makes it a really fun system. This tells me the creator actually cares about what is being done. Most likely hobbyist turned semi professional. It's excellent to see someone actually create a marketable controller using this platform!! I support this wholeheartedly!

FYI, they are using the 18b20 sensors for temp which tend to be pretty accurate but can stray a few degrees (though most temp sensors are 18b20's nowadays) definately cross examine with other thermometers to come up with your accurrate reading (though this I would recommend with anything).

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
learned a trick when i was a mechanic for thermometers, set it in a glass of icewater for 20 minutes, it should read 32deg. If it doesnt then its off, simple and easy.

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I got my RA today, going through all of the setup on it, Ill keep you posted on it, so far I have the wireless setup and working on figuring out all of what am going to have it run lol.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
i will be putting my reef keeper lite and sl2 up for sale soon so i can buy one of these