Board Elections - nominations thread

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;106607 said:
Is there a way to let us know who has been active so far as a board member? I mean, all we really have to go off of is what we see here on the forums and that is just a small part of what goes on. I don't want anyone to get their feelings hurt but its hard to make a informed decision by the (forum) boards alone.

For example Jon. He might very well be at all the board meetings, give a lot to the club and do a lot behind the scenes but from what we see as forum members he does disappear for a month or 2 at a time on the boards.

I just think we need to know how well those who are being re-elected actually did being a board member and not just a forum junky. This is not a popularity contest and we need to have people on the board who truly care for this club and its future.

Here are my nominations with what little info I have to go off of and why;

President:
Juan (assless chaps) Muro
Juan is a great president. He stood up when no one else would to lead our band of misfits. He is at every meeting that he can be, is open to dialogue, criticism and truly shows he cares for our club.

Vice President:
Aaron (DNA Frags) Ediger
No one cares more about this hobby, this club and cutting corals then Aaron. He is the first to greet newcomers, first to offer help and is a wealth of knowledge.

Treasurer:
Daniel (Auctioneer) Venson
Either this guy is robbing houses and stealing tanks or he knows how to handle his money well with this hobby. Every week he has something new and something cheap. He is always offering corals and equipment for sale and is always willing to help and answer questions people might have.

I would love to nominate other board members that are currently serving but we need more info. The remaining folks are not very active on the boards (Adam and Gale excluded but from talking to both of them I thought they didnt want to serve again??) so we need more info please :)
I will not speak for anybody else but I will tell you the things that I do/did as president. I think I've attended every meeting except 1 or 2 in the passed two years (that probably will change). I helped organize every meeting we've had in my term, which means emailing or speaking with every host. Also did this with the bigger meetings. I helped Rob run our first ever Rocky Mountain Marine Conference, and I also helped Mike and Elite Reef run Elite Reef Fest 2011. I did TONS of calls and emails when it came to sponsorship and donations. I do try and talk to as many sponsors as I can on a semi-regular basis to make sure everyone is happy and cool with everything going on. I also run the website (as much as I can) and do all of the membership/badges stuff. So if you don't get a badge it's my fault!! There's probably MANY more things that I personally do but that's what I can think of off hand.

Off The Deep End;106627 said:
Vote for pedro! oops wrong forum:) I nominate:

hurrafreak-president(if he doesn't want to commit to another term then i would say Djkms)
Wicked demon-vp
Amonchak - treasurer
secretary-Boogie... he he

This might be a stupid question but what does a "member at large" actually do?
The members at large are guys who ALWAYS offer ideas on everything. They also will step in when one of the "named" board members can't attend a board meeting or something. So if we are missing a Secretary at a BOD meeting or general meeting, one of the members at large will step up and do those duties. Again though, for the most part we all pretty much do everything. We all help where we can, and if that means the president is doing treasury stuff, and the members at large are doing president stuff, it's going to happen.

I will say one thing though as this kind of rolls forward. This WILL take a substantial amount of time out of your 2 years in office. If you don't think you can put in a good amount of time to a position please do not accept nomination because you will just get frustrated later. I personally am trying/tried to teach as much stuff that I know, and tried to make sure the whole BOD new about everything. It's tough when you've got a lot on your plate.

Nominated

jonthefb - secretary
thejrc - member at large
dvenson - member at large/treasurer
boogie - secretary
mikejrice - member at large

Seconded

hurrafreak - president
Wicked Demon - Vice President
djkms - member at large
ummfish - member at large
zooid - member at large
chrislorentz - member at large
Amonchak - treasurer

Accepted

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;106651 said:
I'm sensing a conspiracy here!

Why do you guys keep nominating me? I am way too mentally unstable for this position!!

Can I nominate myself for a fatty..err...member at large?
Sorry Kris Just a nomination, you ultimately have the last decision to accept or not. :)

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I nominate sschase as member at large

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
hurrafreak;106773 said:
I will not speak for anybody else but I will tell you the things that I do/did as president. I think I've attended every meeting except 1 or 2 in the passed two years (that probably will change). I helped organize every meeting we've had in my term, which means emailing or speaking with every host. Also did this with the bigger meetings. I helped Rob run our first ever Rocky Mountain Marine Conference, and I also helped Mike and Elite Reef run Elite Reef Fest 2011. I did TONS of calls and emails when it came to sponsorship and donations. I do try and talk to as many sponsors as I can on a semi-regular basis to make sure everyone is happy and cool with everything going on. I also run the website (as much as I can) and do all of the membership/badges stuff. So if you don't get a badge it's my fault!! There's probably MANY more things that I personally do but that's what I can think of off hand.
I'll second the hard work that Juan puts forth for MASC. He was instrumental in helping put together the Rocky Mountain Marine Conference. Couldn't have done it without him.

From my dealings with the Board as a whole, I'd share a couple of things. Juan can't be a Board of one. He deserves help from folks that can and do step up to make decisions, stay involved and don't push responsibilities off on others. Now before anyone gets their nose bent, I'm not calling out any individual, just sharing my PERSONAL observations of dealing with the MASC board on a few occasions. I think everyone on the board cares and wants to be responsive, I'm just not sure that everyone has the time required or the inclination to lead. I'd also suggest better communication from the board as a whole, among themselves as well as with the members.

So... my suggestion to all of you that are running, or re-running for a board position: come prepared to make a difference, dedicate the time required and know that it is hard work that goes unappreciated and is often criticized.

Thanks to all who have or currently serve. You help make a difference. As the board grows and improves, so does the club.

-Rob

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
rmougey;106785 said:
I'll second the hard work that Juan puts forth for MASC. He was instrumental in helping put together the Rocky Mountain Marine Conference. Couldn't have done it without him.

From my dealings with the Board as a whole, I'd share a couple of things. Juan can't be a Board of one. He deserves help from folks that can and do step up to make decisions, stay involved and don't push responsibilities off on others. Now before anyone gets their nose bent, I'm not calling out any individual, just sharing my PERSONAL observations of dealing with the MASC board on a few occasions. I think everyone on the board cares and wants to be responsive, I'm just not sure that everyone has the time required or the inclination to lead. I'd also suggest better communication from the board as a whole, among themselves as well as with the members.

So... my suggestion to all of you that are running, or re-running for a board position: come prepared to make a difference, dedicate the time required and know that it is hard work that goes unappreciated and is often criticized.

Thanks to all who have or currently serve. You help make a difference. As the board grows and improves, so does the club.

-Rob
I will be the first to acknowledge I am slightly abrasive, but do my best to contribute, and am on the boards at least once a day.
I would also agree this is a major commitment, and responsibility, make sure you are willing and able prior to accepting.
From what I have seen most board members start a MAL until a vacancy or next election, this helps show how we operate with little learning curve.

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
wicked demon;106799 said:
I will be the first to acknowledge I am slightly abrasive, but do my best to contribute, and am on the boards at least once a day.
I would also agree this is a major commitment, and responsibility, make sure you are willing and able prior to accepting.
From what I have seen most board members start a MAL until a vacancy or next election, this helps show how we operate with little learning curve.
Wicked.... that's what we all like about you.... that warm fuzzy side. :)

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
im sure this is the wrong place but you know me ...can we make sure who ever is responsible for meeting minutes actually does it this time!
juan i know you tried to do it last time but really it shouldn't be the presidents responsibility ...should it ?

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I nominate dv3 for secretary.

I'm sorry I can't accept the nomination for MAL. I really love being involved but I just have no more time
or stamina for it.

I really appreciate what Juan and Rob did for the big event this year but I feel like my efforts in set up and
clean up after the event was no big thing. My wife, who has a bad back, was killing herself helping me set
up and clean up.
I'd still like to help in any way that I can but sometimes my work schedule gets in the way.
Good luck to all the nominees. :D

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Zooid;106905 said:
I really appreciate what Juan and Rob did for the big event this year but I feel like my efforts in set up and
clean up after the event was no big thing. My wife, who has a bad back, was killing herself helping me set
up and clean up.
Both your efforts were very much appreciated at the RMMC! Add to that all the folks that you dedicated time to throughout the day.... we were lucky to have both of you there! It WAS a big deal.....

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Zooid;106905 said:
I nominate dv3 for secretary. Good luck to all the nominees. :D
I second dv3 for Secretary.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
damn is i da best writter u kin find?

before i can accept,so that i could i be sure to dedicate the time needed, i would like to know how many BOD meetings a year would likely be scheduled say north of elite and also how many club meetings would be nice to know as well.....and could we have a little detail as to what is expected from each BOD member i know juan said every one chips in on what they can but is there a more formal list of "duties"

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
whoa whoa whoa...I don't even know what a secretary does..lol