Cherubs 75

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
I cannot believe it! I'm finally rid of my red LEDs! Some people like them but I hated them! Great day for my tank. Thank you so much Khalis for your awesome soldering skills! Here's a quick pic I took but will take more later on. Looking at this is strange. I'm so used to that horrid purple glow...

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks good Gabe. I hear more people getting rid of their red vs them liking them.

newtoreef

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks amazing Gabe that color pop is awesome

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks good. Good job for helping out Khalis.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
think I'm dumping the black sand this month. Any ideas on a fast/easy way to do it with out having to take it all down??

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Gabe, How did you take that pic with the just the blues? Everytime I try, the blue drowns out everything.

For sand, I've added sand by
(a) take new sand, rinse as much as you need too
(b) wait until it's dry. Took more than a month for me
(c) by a cheep automotive funnel, cut the bottom off, and glue it to a long piece of PVC (1.5' or wider)
(d) stick the tube in and poor sand in, it will settle to the bottom of the tube, and as you lift, it will start to flow
(e) lift and lower to start and stop the flow.

I found this to make as little mess (cloudyness) as possible... Good luck

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
oh I had to mess with the white balance a few times. My T3i doesn't have the white balance meter where you input what you want so I had to take pics of a white piece of paper under the blues and sample it over and over until I got realistic results.

Adding the sand was the easy part haha I needed tips to get the black sand out.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Pull all the rock and shop vac the sand.

coloagro

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I dont blame you for wanting to get rid of that black sand but I'm worried its going to upset your whole eco-system unless of course your starting over. I've always thought black sand makes a tank look too dark whereas the traditional white sand allows the coral, fish and even live rock to pop in contrast. If you need some help let me know I'd be happy to help get all of that sand out of there!

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would only take the sand out in small chunks. That will minimize the crap you release into the water column while pulling it.

Sucks to see you pulling the black sand. Hoping mine doesn't need to be pulled in a year.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Damn! I didn't know I had replies lol.. I came on to add pics.

KhensuRa;216602 said:
Pull all the rock and shop vac the sand.
That's a great idea, a shop vac. Quick and easy. LOL Jamie i would need to remove the rock for my CUC. I have a couple starfish in the sand too

MartinsReef;216656 said:
Why do you want to get rid of the black sand.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Shows the thousand of debris off the rocks lol it just never looks clean.

coloagro;216685 said:
I dont blame you for wanting to get rid of that black sand but I'm worried its going to upset your whole eco-system unless of course your starting over. I've always thought black sand makes a tank look too dark whereas the traditional white sand allows the coral, fish and even live rock to pop in contrast. If you need some help let me know I'd be happy to help get all of that sand out of there!
yeah that is a concern of mine too. I would hate to mess with it and waste all that time I put into it. I'm also considering adding another 40 pounds of black sand for a fresh bed. We'll see...

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
powdermonkey;216697 said:
Is that a purple plasma in the top right corner? Nice looking stick and some zoas!
Thanks! I have no idea what it is. I got it from Josh(Gonzo) during a live sale. Just had a number