The Dr. Has gone insane Re-build

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
IMO, you can easily spread 2.5' with a single halide. If you want, come over and we can shut off one of the MH on the big tank and you can measure how far you like the spread.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
jda123;261234 said:
IMO, you can easily spread 2.5' with a single halide. If you want, come over and we can shut off one of the MH on the big tank and you can measure how far you like the spread.
Thanks, I may. The new tank is only 22" deep and I'll also do a 2" sand bed. I also wouldn't put coral at the edges... That's what I was needing. Thanks.

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I ran my Sps dominate 240 cube with 250 watt 14k for years. Great color and great growth. I'm not talking 3-4 years, I'm saying since '98. Changed just last year to LED after moving to a new place and having really uncomfortable basement because of heat and humidity. I still get pretty good growth but my colors don't pop like they used to. Even stuff on the sandbed looked great. I modeled my tank after Cris Capps original tank he had in his basement before he moved. I've heard that he's going back to MH with supplant on his tank

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;261243 said:
Unless he chooses just VHO's or power compacts :p
Since this has somewhat turned into a lighting thread, VHOs are amazing lights that put out amazing output with great looking bulb choices, even if there are only a few. A 4 bulb VHO fixture will put out PAR like 6-8 T5s, but the electrical cost is more than a 8 bulb T5 at 440-500 watts. It was also hard to get 4 bulbs over skinnier tanks - the size was physically limiting too. There are still people who will not let their VHO lit tanks go - they still make the bulbs. You can do a LOT worse than VHO - they can outperform (wattage aside) all but the best T5 setups (ATI and the like), cheap/broke-azz MH setups and most/all LEDs. IMO, a VHO setup is better than a T5 retro kits with a horrible reflector. I still have a few Icecap 660 setups for a rainy day.

PCs were turds.

Dr - if you plan to light a 30-36"' tank, then when you run out of higher-up real estate for all of those awesome SPS, you can grow your tables, solis and efflos near the bottom so that they don't shade out the equally cool stuff up to.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Ok, here is what I'm going to try. 2x250 watt halide with luminark reflectors. 2x54 watt t5 with actinic, for now full spectrum as that's the bulbs I have. And 1 Chinese led... Maybe 2. Depends on what I can fit in the canopy.

We need more discussions like this on here! I hate going to rc for the opinions, I love that I have seen many of the tanks in person around here!

Thank you for everyone's opinions today!!!!! I'll keep everyone informed as I change my mind. Lol

Another question.... What 20k single ended bulbs do we want to try? Or 14k maybe???!

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Radium 20K. No need to go with anything else. Drive those beyotches with M80 HQI ballasts. My bulb choice will change if you go electronic.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I actually realized that I cab get all three of the led's as well as the two halides and the t5's in the hood! I have everything! holy crap!!!! I can change directions with the change of a couple timers... lol

so, how to move my sand?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just do it. It will cycle and get cloudy again, but what can you do? The rock will cycle again a bit too. Just make sure the fish/clams/whatever-else-survived are somewhere else for the cycle.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
When I moved my sand I drained the tank. I added the old sand on top of the new rinsed sand and carefully added the water on a plate so not to disturb the sand. I only let it settle for 24 hours but I used Marco Rocks coarse sand. I haven't lost any fish or corals so far. I would move some of the LR in the new tank and leave some with the fish etc until the dust settles and then add everyone.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
The Dr. Has gone insane Re-build

Or be too big an expense. The Marco Rocks coarse was pretty reasonable for 160 lbs.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Was this sand new in the 210, or was it in the 120G before hand. If it was from the 210, then it is still fresh enough to not cycle too much. If it was from the 120 with many years under it's belt then the cycle could be moderate/high.