The Dr. Has gone insane Re-build

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
NICE LOOKIN' SETUP, MAN!!! You're gonna love it. Can't wait to see it completely set up.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
10 minute water changes... that sure would be nice... mine takes 19 minutes from drain to full..... gravity seems to be slow here..I think im going to switch my brute out for a tank and plum it all inline with a bypass so that i can shut the one tank off totally from the system to drain, fill with ro, add salt, mix, then turn a few valves to run it back into the system. Reason being i had 2 millipora frags die form too much exposure to air while doing waterchange...

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Smiley;265150 said:
10 minute water changes... that sure would be nice... mine takes 19 minutes from drain to full..... gravity seems to be slow here..I think im going to switch my brute out for a tank and plum it all inline with a bypass so that i can shut the one tank off totally from the system to drain, fill with ro, add salt, mix, then turn a few valves to run it back into the system. Reason being i had 2 millipora frags die form too much exposure to air while doing waterchange...
Lol. Maybe it'll take 20 min. I can isolate the basement from the main display tank and the 75 equipment tank from the 100 gallon troth. Even if I don't the only water level that should change is the 100 gallon. I probably will let the water change water stay in the troth for a bit before sending it to the display.

Question. Where should I put my thermometer in the system? Heaters?

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
In the trough for sure. That's the best part of having a basement sump- nothing messing with the display. All noise and most of the wires in the basement.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
id put the heaters in the chamber before the return and the thermometer in the chamber before that...

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I can do a water 55 gallon water change and the tank never stops or changes level. It is super nice to have a big sump.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I might suggest that you try and work your sump or water change vessel so that you can put in a whole bag of salt, if you are a bag user. If you use the whole bag, the parameters will be on the money whereas if you just use some of it, the contents might have settled or separated and you can have inconsistent results unless you mix the sale before use. With IO, this is 44G for 1 bag, or 88G for 2 bags at 1.026 IIRC.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
CindyL;265200 said:
Doc's tank is 100 gallons. You're suggesting he do about a 50% water change each time?
Total volume is more like 300. The stock tank is 100 gallons. I think he is just suggesting I mix salt a full bag at a time. Not that I use it all. If I could mix 45 gallons that would keep me for like 3 weeks.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
CindyL;265200 said:
Doc's tank is 100 gallons. You're suggesting he do about a 50% water change each time?
But if he has the 100g and 75g plus 100 DT he'll have at least 200g water volume, right?

"60% of the time; it works every time!"

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
The Kent salt boxes have what either 4 or 5 bags of salt so that means 1 bag will do either 40g or 50g. That's a perfect water change size in my eyes!!!

Lol dang I need a basement sump....heck I need a bigger tank too lol

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;265213 said:
The Kent salt boxes have what either 4 or 5 bags of salt so that means 1 bag will do either 40g or 50g. That's a perfect water change size in my eyes!!!

Yeah kent boxes have 4 bags 50 gal. Each at 1.025-1.026. I'm gonna do 55 gal changes on my tank @1.024

"60% of the time; it works every time!"

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;265213 said:

Yes, you do!

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Got the flexible PVC (well 2/3 of it) pulled thru the vent last night. What a pita! It isn't smooth like regular PVC. It is almost sticky, but super flexible. Just the 3/4 inch run and I'm ready for the tank.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Andrew_bram;265729 said:
Sticky. Is it like that on the inside. Is it potable water safe.
Sticky is the wrong word. It's really flexible and soft. It's pvc so it's food safe. It's a lot like spa flex but more flexible and made of PVC. Just a pita. But half the price of spa!

newtoreef

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Don't you just hate waiting! Lol can't wait to see it man