The Dr. Has gone insane Re-build

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
PVC is an excellent insulator. I would that chute on a damper and only use it during the coldest/hottest times... those are the time when you might need the extra heat or cool to help the tank out anyway.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
fishguy69;264182 said:
I'd say delete/block off one of the vents for this use. Then you don't have to be concerned about heat or cold.
I can easily get the flex thru. I could almost do the rigid but I have 1 turn to make and would have trouble getting in to glue, don't want a leak!

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Andrew_bram;264193 said:
But it's the dream build might as well do it right first time.
just don't want it to be a disaster after the cost! only found a couple of posts about people doing this on rc. People seem to be hesitant to talk about it. Seems like a viable option in this situation.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can get a 50' box of it for like $130-140 at Home Depot. I would do it. I am practically doing the same thing in my office, except not on a slab. I have a box and might even have some left over after I am done.

You are smarter than the people on RC. You also know your situation better. The bio-cube-generation on RC is mostly unable to think outside of the box - the ones that you want to help you are rarely around anymore.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I agree with the rc comment. I just need to run a 1.5" return, a 1.5" supply and a 3/4" emergency return. The other worry is that it runs 15 feet with very little drop (maybe 1 foot). just the height of the stand really then 3 feet into the 75 gallon sump. At the end of the 15 feet it'll need to rise up to follow the duct work before the final drop into the sump. I'll need to look again in the am to see it this it will work.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
As long as that rise is lower than the tank, then it will flow - like a trap under the sink or in your commode. I would do a pair of 1.5" drains and a 1" return - you can never have too much drain. I don't know that they make 3/4" spa flex.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
The rise is only 6" or so and occurs after a total drop of 4 feet from the bottom of the tank. I think no problem. I also found flexible PVC on line. It's actually schedule 40 so it uses the same glue and fittings as the rigid pipe and such. It also comes in sizes from 1/2 to 3" and up to 200 foot lengths. It's also a bit less expensive than the spa flex. It is capable of handeling like 60 psi so no problem their as the return will inly be at like 5 psi. The drain sizes are already set as the tank is drilled. The return size is based on reeflo suggestion. They said that the 1" I wanted to use would add quite a bit of head pressure so I'll be running the 1.5" to the tank and changing to 1" at the bulkhead.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Which sequence are you using?

Necking down the pipe can really increase the flow and head since your pump won't have the extra weight of the water in the 1.5" pipe to overcome - less back pressure. I have a Ampmaster with a 1.5" output going into a manifold, then it will get necked down to 1" right after to go upstairs. The difference in the weight is the ratio of the radius squared - the 1 inch pipe has a weight of 0.785 and the 1.5 is 1.776, so the 1.5 is over twice as heavy. You can get like 50 feet of head out of a Ampmaster 3000 with a garden hose and only like 20 feet out of 1.5 PVC. There is undoubtedly some pipe friction from the smaller pipe, but it is going to be WAY easier to overcome than the extra weight. I guess what I am trying to say is that I would recommend that you look into using the same size line that your intake can handle - it might be worth a call to sequence.

In a flow situation (no head), then I would go as large as possible.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I will be using the barracuda. My choice of pipe size was based on a call to reeflo. I also am only pushing the water up about 10 total feet, if that. They said the resistance from friction was greater than the weight for my particular application. So 1.5" it is for the run through the heat vent. I am going to reduce to 1" pipe at the bulkhead and then 2x.75" loc line in the tank. I will absolutely need to throttle the pump back to get the flow that I need but am getting a very good deal on the pump so I am happy to do so. I originally was going use the blow hole 2700 but would be close to maxed out with about the same power usage. I will also have plenty of room to upgrade with a frag tank or whatever I decide to run off the manifold.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio

After cleaning the basement, this was a storage area, I have the sump and troth set up. Thanks Craig for letting me borrow the troth. I have this up and running with live rock from my tank. I have a hammerhead pump dialed way back! Need to get it cycled to help with the upcoming move. I'll just need to plumb the new tank into it and should be good to go. Thanks mike and Cindy, Craig, Feed and Doug for the tank tours and advice! Also, thanks to Vince from great white aquatics for the great price on the hammerhead pump, and all the advice.

Highway66

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I wanted to share my finding with you on running thru ductwork. While reserching to run a control wire thru my duct i found that there is "plenum rated" wire. With the difference being that if there was a fire and the wire was burning in your duct work it would not spread toxic smoke through your house. This is something you might want to research further or at least be aware of.

Dr.HarlemTutu;264160 said:
Has anyone used their heat ducts to run spa flex to a remote fish room. I have a family room that is on a concrete slab. It has three air ducts running to the furnace in the basement (duct is in the floor) It is almost a straight shot and a large diameter tube. Any thoughts on using 14' of this to plumb to the sump in the basement? I easily pushed a tape measure thru it today. I also don't think it would block too much air flow. Thoughts! Stupid? Genius????!!! lol

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Highway66;265075 said:
I wanted to share my finding with you on running thru ductwork. While reserching to run a control wire thru my duct i found that there is "plenum rated" wire. With the difference being that if there was a fire and the wire was burning in your duct work it would not spread toxic smoke through your house. This is something you might want to research further or at least be aware of.
Thanks, I'll look into it. I will, however, only be doing pvc and no electric work thru the duct work.

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;265066 said:

After cleaning the basement, this was a storage area, I have the sump and troth set up. Thanks Craig for letting me borrow the troth. I have this up and running with live rock from my tank. I have a hammerhead pump dialed way back! Need to get it cycled to help with the upcoming move. I'll just need to plumb the new tank into it and should be good to go. Thanks mike and Cindy, Craig, Feed and Doug for the tank tours and advice! Also, thanks to Vince from great white aquatics for the great price on the hammerhead pump, and all the advice.
So is this going to be your sump setup for your new tank then?

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Oh not a biggie but it seems like a sweet setup kinda like I have mine you. Would love it having it setup like that. Very easy to acess and clean

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Craigar;265094 said:
Oh not a biggie but it seems like a sweet setup kinda like I have mine you. Would love it having it setup like that. Very easy to acess and clean
Super excited for water changes. I'm going to do a drain in the bottom of the tub. I still need another brut to mix water in. 10 min wc here I come!

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Dr.HarlemTutu;265116 said:
Super excited for water changes. I'm going to do a drain in the bottom of the tub. I still need another brut to mix water in. 10 min wc here I come!
I have a 32 gallon brute with a plastic hose spigot near the bottom. Right now it needs a good cleaning but let me know if you want it.