A Golden Reef Tank (v2)

So is that some sort of level sensing tape you made yourself or is that purchased? Cause the kind you can buy when I checked into it was pretty expensive for a long strip.

I have a fairly good PCB making setup but it could always be better. I use my CNC to drill the holes first. Then, I still use photosensitive film and UV exposure for the traces. I do still have to solder wires for through holes. I tried to do my own plated holes but it didn't work out too well. Unfortunately the easiest way to DIY plated holes requires an illegal chemical. I also made a re-flow oven to put the SMT parts on all at once (in theory).

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Yep, it’s a liquid level sensing tape. Milone technologies. I caught them when they were already producing a 70” tape for a client so I was able to get in on a relatively cheaper price. Still not cheep.

This is going on my fresh water (RODI) barrel hooked to the circuit I’m putting together. I will put together a similar one on my fresh water top off system. They will talk together and both will talk with the Apex. I’ll be able to top off fresh water remotely when I travel and not worry about the house sitter messing something up. Besides the liquid level tape, I’ll have some redundant float switches. Together, they’ll keep the tanks from overflowing by controlling pumps and alerting me through Apex. I could do something more simplistic with just the Apex but I don’t trust it as much.

It’s not a fully automated thing. I want some level of control so that if there is a failure, the damage is limited to water on the floor, which I will also know about.

In general, it’s the type of automation I like. The type that makes my life a little easier but the danger posed from failure is minimal. I’ll have to put together a video to show it all in action when it’s done. It probably doesn’t make sense without seeing it.

Cool I be looking forward to seeing it all in action. Having backups is always a good idea. :)

I was wondering if there would be a way to make some sort of e-tape DIY style. Closest I could find is using a capacitance sensor pipe like device. I assume its probably not as accurate as etape subject to interference etc. Also, there was another guy on R2R that was using a differential air pressure sensor to detect the water level.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I’ve played around with the differential pressure sensors before. They’re pretty noisy (which can be filtered). It’s been a while but I think I had a hard time amplifying the signal enough to make it worthwhile. Could have been just that application I couldn’t make it work with or my limitations (equipment/cost/brain cells). I suspect that Avast marine uses one in more of a digital mode to sense high water levels. Haven’t torn one apart though.

I’ve built a level sensor system out of an array of Hall effect sensors before with a moving float. You have to bury a magnet in the float to signal the sensors. It wouldn’t give you the same resolution as the etape but could be much more durable. Again, it didn’t work well because I was trying to DIY it with what I had around home at the time. Getting printed or precisely manufactured parts would go a long way to improve the design and performance. You could probably get the depth resolution down to 1/2” increments which is about as tight as you could pack in the Hall effect sensors linearly. Maybe tighter if you offset them in a radial fashion.

I’m using the etape in fresh water tanks only. I suspect it would get quickly fouled in saltwater with saltcreep and all of the things that will naturally grow on it.

Apex reps said they saw someone using an ultrasonic sensor for depth. I haven’t investigated to see if that’s feasible. I like the idea of no moving parts and less in contact with water.

Yeah I actually have a ultrasonic sensor interface board I made up already. I was interfacing it to a raspberry pi so I ended up putting a little adafruit trinket board to do the timing of the pulse accurately. I sure it might be a bit 'noisy' also, but I haven't tried it on my big brute tank yet.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Anyone mind giving a quick explanation of how a liquid level sensing tape works? I'm curious about how it functions.
Sorry. I didn’t explain things well. I figured it would make more sense once complete and I can put together a video.

The liquid level sensing tape varies electrical resistance based on depth of the liquid it is measuring. You have to build a circuit and interpret what that varies resistance means. In my case that’s a “voltage divider” circuit. Again, this isn’t useful unless you map the varied voltage to a water depth. Ex: 30mV = 2g Figure out the high and low ranges. Create a linear formula (because the tape is spec’d to have a linear response). Print that to a screen and do various other things with it like setting alarms, turning on relays to interface with Apex I/O, allowing the pump to turn on/off based on water levels.

Again, this isn’t fully automated to top off my aquarium, although I could do that easily. I still want to be the one in control of filling my smaller FWTO tank (about 50g). My FWTO tank keeps the tanks in my room topped off through mechanical toilet bowel floats. It will last about a week before being refilled. No electrons needed. This will allow me to turn on the pump via Apex which does top it off and it will shut off automatically. Both me and my wife have overflowed the FWTO tank by turning on the pump from my fresh water reservoir and walking away. We forgot it was on.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Lol a top off for the top off. I love it!

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Thanks @halmus for explaining. Sorry I jumped the gun with the question. Following along to see how this will integrate with Apex. Pretty cool stuff!!
No problem. I left everyone in the dark a little bit.

I started installing everything today.

View attachment 14350

We’ll see if I can finish installing sometime tomorrow. I have to prep another data cabinet for screens and run an additional line. I still have to tweak the software now that it’s in a 5’ barrel not a 5 gal bucket. Shouldn’t be a big deal.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Thanks everyone for following. I didn’t get much done yesterday other than running a new data line for the secondary screen. I won’t go into details but even though I had the right wires hooked up on the far end, there was data corruption due to the nature of the communication protocol I’m using. I was able to correct this with some grounding and trial and error. Even though my solution isn’t supposed to work, it seems to in early tests.

I’m going to modify the other cabinet today and tomorrow and hopefully wrap up “phase I” of the project.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I’ve got some bids to do today, picking up a replacement pump for my skimmer from Cris at AA, and stopping by a Honda dealership in Littleton on the way. So not much progress.

Yes, moving forward with a new generator. If someone’s in the market for a 1800watt gen, let me know. Husky brand. I’m honestly not over-impressed with the gen so I’m not going to be asking a lot. Need to look at what I originally paid. It fires right up and runs reliably. However it’s not quiet and I wouldn’t put much more than a few pumps and a single 300 watt heater on it. Hence, my motivation to upgrade.

Here’s a shot of my pet crab “crabby cakes” in the refugium. He snuck in with some algae early in. First time I saw him he was smaller than a dime. Now, I spot feed him every few days. Shot taken through a role of masking tape for size comparison. He’s a nuisance and is wrecking the fuge. But, he’s hilarious and greets me every morning like this begging for food. So, he’s got a home for now.

View attachment 14358

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I’ve got some bids to do today, picking up a replacement pump for my skimmer from Cris at AA, and stopping by a Honda dealership in Littleton on the way. So not much progress.

Yes, moving forward with a new generator. If someone’s in the market for a 1800watt gen, let me know. Husky brand. I’m honestly not over-impressed with the gen so I’m not going to be asking a lot. Need to look at what I originally paid. It fires right up and runs reliably. However it’s not quiet and I wouldn’t put much more than a few pumps and a single 300 watt heater on it. Hence, my motivation to upgrade.

Here’s a shot of my pet crab “crabby cakes” in the refugium. He snuck in with some algae early in. First time I saw him he was smaller than a dime. Now, I spot feed him every few days. Shot taken through a role of masking tape for size comparison. He’s a nuisance and is wrecking the fuge. But, he’s hilarious and greets me every morning like this begging for food. So, he’s got a home for now.

View attachment 14358
What do you think you might be asking for the generator? I may be interested.