Avoid Jurassic Pets

Highway66

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would like to deliver this warning to avoid Jurassic Pets in Thorton.

Their fish department was recently setup by Ron Aklin (aka Catfish Charlies) which alot of you probably have known longer then me. His name goes back pretty far with fish stores in Colorado. Well it seems after Ron had put in his hard work, his equipment and his knowledge the owner then decided to screw Ron over by kicking him out.

So not only are they unscrupulous owners, the shop is left with no one that knows a thing about how to care for the fish. I would ask that everyone lend their support to Ron and pass the word not to support Jurassic Pets in Thorton.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Noted, and not kewl on their part.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I saw a post on Facebook kinda confirming this story by catfish Charlie earlier this week. If it's true that's really poopy of someone to do! I've never seen or heard of the store in question.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yes, this is the same as what Ron posted on his FB page. What I'm asking is if anyone has talked with the folks at Jurassic Pets to get their take on the situation. It's important to avoid jumping to conclusions at this point.

And, in the end, getting involved in what sounds like a business deal gone sour is usually very messy.

Highway66

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I did some checking around a bit before posting. And I did visit the store several times while Ron was setting up. But Your right I don't have Jurassic Pets side. So I would be happy to listen and recant if I'm wrong.

rplank

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Haven't heard either side but I have been in the store both during and after Ron's involvement. The guy who seems to be in charge in the sw section now is very personable but not overly knowledgeable. They had a red scooter blenny labelled as a red mandarin dragonette. I also saw that all the tanks appear to be plumbed together and I saw ich in at least two tanks. Needless to say I didnt purchase any fish those days.

SteveT

Butterfly Fish
Just a side note-

rplank;315276 said:
They had a red scooter blenny labelled as a red mandarin dragonette.
Actually a more taxonomic-ally accurate name considering they do belong to the dragonette family and not the blenny family. It has always been a pet-peeve of mine that the hobby has randomly assigned misleading names to several fish. calling dragonettes and dart fish, gobies and blennys, being the most prevalent.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
SteveT;315303 said:
Just a side note-

Actually a more taxonomic-ally accurate name considering they do belong to the dragonette family and not the blenny family. It has always been a pet-peeve of mine that the hobby has randomly assigned misleading names to several fish. calling dragonettes and dart fish, gobies and blennys, being the most prevalent.
I completely disagree. A red dragonette is a red dragonette. Regardless of the false "blenny" title a scooter is not a red dragonette, a genus closely related to what we what we call dragonettes yes, but not a red dragonette. Scooters are much easier to care for, there not as specialized of eaters and most will take to frozen or flakes very easily, not to mention they are cheaper. So due to the lack of knowledge they now have a mis labled and over priced fish, might as well shop at Petco, at least theres a guarantee on livestock.

I know both sides, I wont shop there due to the bad business practices and the lack of knowledge currently on staff. What went down is not OK and I will nto support this, I wont even buy dry goods! They dont know enough about saltwater to maintain a tank, let alone sell to the general public.

Ron is also a personal friend of mine, I will support him for that reason alone!!!

SteveT

Butterfly Fish
Let me first say I am not commenting on the situation with Jurassic Pet or Ron. I was derailing the thread for a small annoyance of mine that is ingrained in the hobby as a whole for some strange reason. I do have to defend myself and say that the red "scooter" has the scientific name of Synchiropus stellatus. Synchiropus being the genus of dragonets found in the western indo pacific. Just because they tend to be easier to train onto frozen foods in no way changes the fact that genetically they are dragonets it also doesn't change the fact that they couldn't be more different from blennys genetically, environmentally and behaviorally which is all I was trying to bring up...

Last edited by a moderator:
I shop at Jurassic all the time and the owner Marshall is actually a good guy and all their saltwater fish including corals we have bought from there have been in very good health and are all thriving. They are new to the saltwater hobby however the owner is learning and redoing the area for better. Personally I only like to buy from there and they get all their orders from seagrest farms. At least give people the chance to try and strive in the hobby first.