BOD Nomination Thread

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
scchase;282580 said:
Please make sure They are more clear in the future as I read that seconds are allowed in this thread but not required also in years past after the nomination period people have been allowed the chance to accept nominations
+1

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Looking at people's badges I see 2 new members have been added to the board but neither were even nominated in this thread so rather than selecting from among the nominees you installed the people you wanted which while allowed in the bylaws begs the question of why nominations were taken in the first place

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
As an addendum I for everyone I was going to decline the nomination for vp as I have other responsibilities for the coming year I am just trying to understand what is going on here.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
How about I just ask the question point blank: Do you have an issue with me being on the board, Scott?

Do you feel that I wouldn't contribute to the club, have nothing to offer the membership, or don't participate in discussions?

As for the bylaws not being clear, my understanding is that you are the one who drafted them. However, I do agree that they need a lot of revision and clarification, and had offered to do that in the near future. Despite the plethora of other responsibilities that I have for the coming year.

If your plan was to deny nomination, then why didn't you do so?

My understanding regarding the motive behind this thread was for the board to learn who was interested in filling the empty spots. They then considered the folks that were nominated, and those that expressed interest privately, and made a decision based on the best interest of the club. Instead of ignoring/disregarding the bylaws, they went above and beyond what was required, and now you're criticizing them for doing so.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
No I have no problem with you Cindy I just did not realize that we needed to second nominations and as such did not on some of the nominations that I thought were good. Generally acceptance of nominations by nominees has occurred after the nomination period and I had not decided till recently. As too the rules surrounding nominations they were intentionally left vague in the bylaws but in general have been very specific in these threads I ask these questions because they were not clear to me this time.

As to the bylaws themselves yes I did red raft them though I left most sections as they were and made changes based on the recommendations of the board at that time and my own opinion. They were then voted on and accepted.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
As a result of this thread and the nominations, seconds, acceptances and lack of seconds resulting in a need for community vote the following has ensued:

The Vice President seat will be filled by Khalis aka Jahmic.

Also as a result of none of the nomination for member at large had been seconded and supported by other members in the community; the board has voted in the following positions and members per the bylaws for mid term vacancies.

Member at Large - MuralReef
Member at Large - FinsUp!

These members were choosen for their proven commitment to MASC, behind the scenes uncompensated time in volunteering, commitment to the community by attending meetings and for not only being present but also active on the forums. The Board has unanimously voted in the election of these individuals and we have complete confidence in their additions and the added strength they will add to the MASC Board.

With that being said we would like everyone's help in welcoming them to the BOD and looking forward to a stronger board greater things happening for the community. As always if you have any questions pleas pm a member of the board.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;282604 said:
As a result of this thread and the nominations, seconds, acceptances and lack of seconds resulting in a need for community vote the following has ensued:

The Vice President seat will be filled by Khalis aka Jahmic.

Also as a result of none of the nomination for member at large had been seconded and supported by other members in the community; the board has voted in the following positions and members per the bylaws for mid term vacancies.

Member at Large - MuralReef
Member at Large - FinsUp!

These members were choosen for their proven commitment to MASC, behind the scenes uncompensated time in volunteering, commitment to the community by attending meetings and for not only being present but also active on the forums. The Board has unanimously voted in the election of these individuals and we have complete confidence in their additions and the added strength they will add to the MASC Board.

With that being said we would like everyone's help in welcoming them to the BOD and looking forward to a stronger board greater things happening for the community. As always if you have any questions pleas pm a member of the board.
I support this.

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
This will be great to have an active and involved board.

I'm happy to have these new folks on the board!! Welcome!!!

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cindy has been involved in numerous committees throughout the past year, and has dedicated a lot of time to put together both current and future events. Mike (Mural) has demonstrated consistent attendance at meetings this year, and is already involved in bringing reefing into his community via his classroom. We all felt that they were both invaluable additions to the BOD.

Why this thread? Because, IMO, it gave the community the opportunity to voice their support for candidates that they felt would be up to the task of participating on the board. The decision to add them to the board was made yesterday, after the nomination period ended. In reading past threads, it had been the norm that a candidate was nominated, seconded, then accepted. The bylaws do not explicitly spell out that process...but judging by the posts in this thread by the few people that participated in this open nomination, it seemed that everyone was aware that being seconded was part of the process.

The bylaws do, however, state that Member at Large positions can be appointed midterm by the BOD in order to fill vacancies. That is precisely what happened. But before just going ahead and doing this, we tried to implement an open-nomination process so that everyone would have an opportunity to nominate. Sadly, we did not receive the response that we hoped to see.

Hopefully that helps clear things up. Getting the frag swap together this weekend while being short on board members was no easy task. I'm happy to have a full board has shown dedication to the club and our members.

Had we simply chosen to appoint board members and brought in FinsUp and MuralReef...we would have been following the bylaws and could have been running at full strength weeks ago. Instead, we went with open nominations, and were met with a general lack of interest/feedback up until now.