Brooklynella

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
The copper is important to keep ich, velvet and the other junk away after stressing the fish with form' dip(s), and of course the stress from the protozoan. Copper is no substitute for the form' for quick fix, but it can kill the brook over a period of time... and most clowns that come from a proper copper QT regiment are usually brook free. The copper also does a pretty good job of killing the external protozoa, so if the dip drops most of the junk off, then there is none (or way less) in the water column to reattach.

High Plains Reefer

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
But you can't use copper and formalin together so you could use copper after the formalin I would stick to quick cure if you want to use copper after not a bad idea my fish never had white spots just the white fuzzy look to their scales

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sure. I see what you are saying and we are talking about two different methods, I think. I keep a minimal level of copper in the QT and just dip the clowns. I have never, personally, treated a whole tank with formalin.

High Plains Reefer

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
From what I read when I went through it you need to use the quick cure in the same way you use copper treat the qt tank and since the tank needs to be fallow for 8 weeks min there is plenty of time to treat quick cure and then copper and still be able to monitor them after the treatment

BPreefer

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Brooklynella

Mike so sorry to hear this. I hope you were able to get all fish out and start some type of treatment. I have not yet had to deal with any fish illness, so I don't have anything to add that may help. But if there is anything you need please let me know. So sorry for your losses.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Brooklynella

jda123;249777 said:
If you want more responses next time, work the title as "Cheap ZOA Frags," "New $50 LEDs" or "Sea Clone SP40 Pump - $60 Group Buy."
Awesome.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Thanks for the offer Doug. I have enough "quick cure" for a couple thousand gallons now...so will stick to the formalin route. I have seen differing opinions on using copper vs formalin for brook and the general consenus is copper is not the first choice for brook.
But after spending all night until the AM tearing down a tank and setting it back up for a couple damsels and a yellow tang...I can tell you they better not die! I was ok with the lets wait and see tactic. She wasn't.

On a different note...
My comments about replies was not about this topic alone. I see it a lot lately...stupid *** non-fish/reef related topics get the most responses and a lot of serious questions seem to get just a limited amount. I know their are some very knowledgeable people on this forum and I wish it didn't seem like sometimes it is a case of whether or not you are in the right clic or the right *** kisser as to whether or not you will get an answer to something serious. May be I am just still wore out from all the crap with the other half's tank....I don't know. I just know there are some recent (last few months) departures of "members" and vendors from this forum because of some of this. They are missed.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

As is the case with most online forums, new members tend to be the most active since they are typically searching the forums for answers or researching the hobby. Although I've also noticed a departure of old members (evident by knowledgeable replies to topics posted years ago, by people I rarely/never see around here), I would agree that lack of experience is likely the culprit in this case.

I can't say whether that's the case with other threads, but I can definitely say that more often than not, the people with the experience to answer an emergency question typically have years under their belt and probably hop online to check the forums less often than others. Their tanks are full (not watching the FS sections like a hawk) and they are running their hobby on auto-pilot. If there is a solution to keep those people more active...I wish I knew it. ;) I hate to admit it...but in those quick answer situations I typically turn to national forums since the threads get more hits.

It doesn't apply to this forum...but I'm certainly guilty of disappearing from forums myself. There's a motorcycle forum specific to a single model that I used to frequent where I posted multiple DIY mod threads...I also taught a safety course, raced in an amateur league, and know that bike inside out after an engine rebuild. I log on maybe 4x a year and have like 10 PMs to reply to every time. :(

In a sense...I feel your pain. Hope your bout with brook takes a turn for the better.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Talk about clicky... my contributions don't count because I don't have a badge. It starts at the top. I cannot believe that you guys even let me post on your thread.

The copper is not to treat the brook, it is to keep other stuff off the fish while it heals. I am formalin dip and full copper guy, but I have never had a brook infested fish like what you are fighting. Like rings said, there is plenty of time for some copper if you are going to wait 8-10 weeks.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
WatercolorsGuy;249881 said:
On a different note...
My comments about replies was not about this topic alone. I see it a lot lately...stupid *** non-fish/reef related topics get the most responses and a lot of serious questions seem to get just a limited amount. I know their are some very knowledgeable people on this forum and I wish it didn't seem like sometimes it is a case of whether or not you are in the right clic or the right *** kisser as to whether or not you will get an answer to something serious. May be I am just still wore out from all the crap with the other half's tank....I don't know. I just know there are some recent (last few months) departures of "members" and vendors from this forum because of some of this. They are missed.
Did I just read correctly that you think that it's stupid for people to come into this forum and occasionally have... *gasp*... fun discussing non-reefing topics? And then you wonder why you aren't universally loved. Really, I'm speechless about that particular comment.

But on to more serious matters, since you don't want to discuss non-reefing topics:

As others have mentioned, people with no experience or success in dealing with this specific issue aren't commenting because they don't feel they have anything to add. That will be the case with most advanced or very specific issues like this (the 'serious questions' you mention in your insulting tirade). That is simply the way it goes, and I see nothing wrong with that. Number of responses does not equal quality of responses. Had you posted a question asking for help with Marine Velvet, I would have responded as soon as I saw it because velvet decimated my tank recently. I wouldn't know Brooklynella if it bit me on the nose, however, so I kept quiet and checked the thread periodically to see if I could learn something. I'm sure others are doing the same.

There's also been a lower level of overall participation on this forum lately because it's summertime and people are less focused on their tanks and are spending more time doing other things. School just ended most everywhere, and those folks who are parents in the group are shifting gears with their kids to go into summertime mode. People are on vacation, mowing the lawn, planting gardens, and enjoying the good weather by spending time outside.

And, as Khalis said quite diplomatically, the greatest volume of participation on a local club forum comes from newbies, who (by definition) aren't as experienced or informed on troubleshooting problems. The more experienced members check in less, as they have already stocked their tanks, have the equipment they need, and are just enjoying their tanks and watching corals grow. Most of those folks probably won't respond well to someone with an attitude, who complains that you have to belong to some clique and kiss *** in order for people to respond to you.

This group is extremely unique in how common it is for members to offer up their knowledge, time, effort, and equipment to help someone they don't know. I saw that rallying in person when I desperately needed some help, and I've seen it happen for others over and over again. I've done what I could to help others when I was able, and I'm developing friendships with some amazing people that I've met in the process. You were offered help by some of the folks here. Apparently, however, it wasn't the kind of help you expected. You weren't terribly specific on the kind of help you needed- you simply asked if anyone had experience with the issue. Ken had, and he responded with information and support. So did a couple of other folks. So I really don't understand your irritation. How many folks do you expect to have experience with brooklynella, in Denver, who have participated in this forum in the last day?

If you're looking for detailed information on serious/advanced issues, I suggest you google the keywords that pertain to your issue and read in-depth articles written by subject matter experts on the topic at hand. I did that when my tank was devastated by Marine Velvet, and I educated myself on various options for handling the situation using multiple sources, not just a single local club.

Another option for you is to search out national forums with a larger group of experts available, such as Reef Central. Those folks seem to be serious aquarists, so maybe you'll be happier there.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

CindyL;249957 said:
Did I just read correctly that you think that it's stupid for people to come into this forum and occasionally have... *gasp*... fun discussing non-reefing topics? And then you wonder why you aren't universally loved. Really, I'm speechless about that particular comment.

But on to more serious matters, since you don't want to discuss non-reefing topics:

As others have mentioned, people with no experience or success in dealing with this specific issue aren't commenting because they don't feel they have anything to add. That will be the case with most advanced or very specific issues like this (the 'serious questions' you mention in your insulting tirade). That is simply the way it goes, and I see nothing wrong with that. Number of responses does not equal quality of responses. Had you posted a question asking for help with Marine Velvet, I would have responded as soon as I saw it because velvet decimated my tank recently. I wouldn't know Brooklynella if it bit me on the nose, however, so I kept quiet and checked the thread periodically to see if I could learn something. I'm sure others are doing the same.

There's also been a lower level of overall participation on this forum lately because it's summertime and people are less focused on their tanks and are spending more time doing other things. School just ended most everywhere, and those folks who are parents in the group are shifting gears with their kids to go into summertime mode. People are on vacation, mowing the lawn, planting gardens, and enjoying the good weather by spending time outside.

And, as Khalis said quite diplomatically, the greatest volume of participation on a local club forum comes from newbies, who (by definition) aren't as experienced or informed on troubleshooting problems. The more experienced members check in less, as they have already stocked their tanks, have the equipment they need, and are just enjoying their tanks and watching corals grow. Most of those folks probably won't respond well to someone with an attitude, who complains that you have to belong to some clique and kiss *** in order for people to respond to you.

This group is extremely unique in how common it is for members to offer up their knowledge, time, effort, and equipment to help someone they don't know. I saw that rallying in person when I desperately needed some help, and I've seen it happen for others over and over again. I've done what I could to help others when I was able, and I'm developing friendships with some amazing people that I've met in the process. You were offered help by some of the folks here. Apparently, however, it wasn't the kind of help you expected. You weren't terribly specific on the kind of help you needed- you simply asked if anyone had experience with the issue. Ken had, and he responded with information and support. So did a couple of other folks. So I really don't understand your irritation. How many folks do you expect to have experience with brooklynella, in Denver, who have participated in this forum in the last day?

If you're looking for detailed information on serious/advanced issues, I suggest you google the keywords that pertain to your issue and read in-depth articles written by subject matter experts on the topic at hand. I did that when my tank was devastated by Marine Velvet, and I educated myself on various options for handling the situation using multiple sources, not just a single local club.

Another option for you is to search out national forums with a larger group of experts available, such as Reef Central. Those folks seem to be serious aquarists, so maybe you'll be happier there.
You may need to read closer.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

jda123;249942 said:
Talk about clicky... my contributions don't count because I don't have a badge. It starts at the top. I cannot believe that you guys even let me post on your thread.

The copper is not to treat the brook, it is to keep other stuff off the fish while it heals. I am formalin dip and full copper guy, but I have never had a brook infested fish like what you are fighting. Like rings said, there is plenty of time for some copper if you are going to wait 8-10 weeks.
If I am dosing formalin in the QT can I dose copper at the same time?

I have seen you offer some awesome guidance to people Doug. I know it is appreciated.

Thanks Khalis.

High Plains Reefer

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
from What I have read you cannot use copper and formalin together I really hope this dosent spoil you on the hobby it is tough like I said before by far the hardest thing I had to deal with I would never want to go through it again

my number is 303-803-3934 ken if you have questions text whenever no late calls please I work days good luck

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Don't use them together in the tank. That won't be pretty.

What I do is different than what you are trying to do. I have never had a fish actually show signs of brook. ...so I dip upon acquisition and then QT them in copper. I do similar things for angels, only I use prazi pro before the copper to treat for flukes and internal parasites.

I have been thinking about this for a few hours - I think that if some of my clowns actually came down with brook, I would probably get the copper out of the QT and put the formalin in there like you are doing.

Most of us have been through this. I have a QT tank that I do use some copper and other meds in, but I am not a 100% QT freak. I know that disease will get into my tank, but my goal is for the fish to go in there with a great head start and be able to fight off anything that they get. My tangs don't ever show signs of any disease when I add new fish - even the hippo. One of the huge keys is getting good fish. If you want to have a private discussion about who has good fish in this town, at least in my opinion, then send me a PM. Husbandry in the store is not enough, but good suppliers help too. I am incredibly picky about such things, because I do think that it matters, but I don't want to discuss this on a thread.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Just curious... where are you guys getting formalin? Vet supply with an Rx?

I know that quick cure and rid ich are both basically a formalin+malachite green mixture, and I do have rid ich in my fish med cabinet...but just wondering if anyone has a source for just 10% formalin.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have some that is called formalin-3. I am not sure of the concentration. I got it at a LFS in KC before I moved.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok thanks. I think that product was discontinued a couple years ago...good score. :) I think it's like 35% formalin.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Funny...I just pulled that up via a google search too.

I might actually buy a bottle. I have round-about access to 10% through my job (can I please have a small container of this for my fish?...followed by funny looks), but a larger bottle at a higher concentration would certainly last longer. Also, I'm not 100% sure what the solution we have is buffered with and it might not be safe for aquatic use.

I'm not sure if it's a stability issue or not...but I just checked and the stuff we have on hand is in fact marked with an expiry date about 2 years out from acquisition. So it's possible that the stuff expires...