Calibration fluid

apex_seeking

Cleaner Shrimp
I’m trying to calibrate the salinity probe. I used their fluid, got everything set and then realized I had my temp compensation probe setup wrong. I tried correcting it and got my salinity probe out of calibration.

Long story short, is there anywhere locally to buy the solution for calibration, or any way to manually calibrate it using a second device to verify the readings like a refractometer?

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
There is not a way to manually adjust the offset and scale. I asked neptune to do this a bunch of times and they said they were worried that their typical customer (neptunes nice way of saying dumb aquarist) would make mistakes too often and overload their support staff.

Do you have a reasonably precise kitchen scale? If you do, you can just make some like I do.

Add 3.29 grams of Mortons table salt to a pee cup, then fill the pee cup with RODI until the reading it 100g total. (You can scale this up or down depending on your scales precision, eg 1 decimal 500 g scale, use 13.1g of mortons and fill until 398g water).

Sent from my SM-G986U using MASC mobile app

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Another method I will use in a pinch if the reading is way off and I don't have time to make more solution of its just being a PITA, is to just put the probe in your tank for the last step instead of 53mS solution. You might ultimately be off by 1 ppt if you didn't mix perfect salt water, but it will get you real close.

apex_seeking

Cleaner Shrimp
There is not a way to manually adjust the offset and scale. I asked neptune to do this a bunch of times and they said they were worried that their typical customer (neptunes nice way of saying dumb aquarist) would make mistakes too often and overload their support staff.

Do you have a reasonably precise kitchen scale? If you do, you can just make some like I do.

Add 3.29 grams of Mortons table salt to a pee cup, then fill the pee cup with RODI until the reading it 100g total. (You can scale this up or down depending on your scales precision, eg 1 decimal 500 g scale, use 13.1g of mortons and fill until 398g water).

Does this need to be at a particular temp? And do you auto calibrate or manually (in the advanced setting)? I’d like to be able to use the temp compensation as I have the probes all connected now.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Manual and it needs to be at the same temperature your tank is. Auto sometimes fails for me. I pull probe out, rinse in rodi, dab dry with a paper towel, then let it set for a few minutes. Then put in pee cup with tank warmed calibration solution. Shake and tap vigorously to remove any bubbles. Usually takes about 2 minutes to fully settle.

Since your tank isn't running with fish yet, 77F is the best temp to do since that is the "zero point" for temp compensation (the value at 77F will not change if you adjust TC value).

flagg37

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Manual and it needs to be at the same temperature your tank is. Auto sometimes fails for me. I pull probe out, rinse in rodi, dab dry with a paper towel, then let it set for a few minutes. Then put in pee cup with tank warmed calibration solution. Shake and tap vigorously to remove any bubbles. Usually takes about 2 minutes to fully settle.

Since your tank isn't running with fish yet, 77F is the best temp to do since that is the "zero point" for temp compensation (the value at 77F will not change if you adjust TC value).

This is why I plan on running my tank at 77 degrees. I also got a lab certified thermometer to make sure that when I set the temp to 77 then it actually is 77. The thermometer is supposed to be accurate and precise down to 0.1 degree F.