Dry Rock Sculpting w/Dremel & Epoxy

zatch

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
I can get a bit obsessive with my aquascaping... and could never really find a style that I liked when live rock went away and now all we have to work with is the dry rock limestone or manufactured rock. So i decided to carve out some dry rocks into more interetesting shapes.

Going for a tabling coral look, where the slimmer base leads up to a flatter platform where I will grow out my frags. I was inspired by Mr Aquas XXL tank in Colorado Springs (think there closed now - this was like 10-12 years ago :nomouth:). He used open Tonga branch at the base of his rockwork which led up to a shelf of normal rock, giving it a cool tree branch/shelf structure.

Here is a smaller piece that showing where im going with this. Quite a bit of time with a dremel in the yard and some epoxy to join the various pieces together, but I think it will come out being unique in the end (esp when some coraline eventually grows over the epoxy joints)

Ill post some pics of the bigger rock shelves im working on if I can get around to them this weekend View attachment 17879 View attachment 17880

ianryd

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nice, I did a little of this on my new tank. I didnt use a dremel though. I drilled holes in each rock and cut up a plastic coat hanger for rods to connect then, then used hydraulic cement to bond them. Ended up making some unique structures with it!

Sent from my SM-G950U using MASC mobile app

scmountain

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
I tried to recreate some flat surfaces in my tank, I really struggled making it look "natural".
you have a good look going here