fin issue

Ryan303

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
My male clown is having issues with his top fin. Does anyone have an idea of what this is and what I should do?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Looks like fin rot. Can be caused by a number of things, including stress, aggressiveness from other fish, or poor water quality.
Treatment usually means putting them in QT and treating with an antibacterial like Maracyn 2, Nitrofurizone, melafix or even Kana plex. I tried all of those on a engineer that had pretty bad fin rot and open ulcers, but the Nitro worked the best but absolutely has to be done in a qt tank

Ryan303

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks like fin rot. Can be caused by a number of things, including stress, aggressiveness from other fish, or poor water quality.
Treatment usually means putting them in QT and treating with an antibacterial like Maracyn 2, Nitrofurizone, melafix or even Kana plex. I tried all of those on a engineer that had pretty bad fin rot and open ulcers, but the Nitro worked the best but absolutely has to be done in a qt tank
Thank you for the response. Would you recommend putting the pair in the quarantine tank for the companionship and lowering stress, or just the affected fish so the other is not exposed? Will the fin grow bac?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
YA, I would put both, otherwise the female may show some aggression toward him again when you reintroduce