Heaters? What do you use?

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
What heater do you use and why?

I have and had many heaters and they all seem to fail. I have tried most from glass, ceramic, composite and the titanium types and all have issues. Some last longer than others but none last longer than two years??

I was looking at the Cobalt Neo-Therm, but it has horrible reviews on BRS.

Thanks
Martin

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;369268 said:
I did a poll not too long ago and got a few responses across masc scmas rc and r2r and top two were eheim Jager and finnex titanium. In that order
I will look for your poll. Thanks

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow, I've been using the Cobalt Neo-Therm since they came out and have had no issues. I'm planning on looking everything over again tonight to make sure I'm not having any voltage leaks or any cracks in the heaters.

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Jeremiah;369272 said:
Wow, I've been using the Cobalt Neo-Therm since they came out and have had no issues. I'm planning on looking everything over again tonight to make sure I'm not having any voltage leaks or any cracks in the heaters.
Yes you should as the reviews are horrible for failure from these.

I am thinking of going back to titanium heaters by finnex.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hmm I have Eheim jagers that have been going strong since I started in the hobby. They have always been reliable for me. I do make sure to try to keep the top up out of the water. They are completely submersible but I've read that they are less likely to fail if you dont submerge the top with the thermostat.

Honestly though not sure why that should make any difference.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Walter White;369285 said:
Hmm I have Eheim jagers that have been going strong since I started in the hobby. They have always been reliable for me. I do make sure to try to keep the top up out of the water. They are completely submersible but I've read that they are less likely to fail if you dont submerge the top with the thermostat.

Honestly though not sure why that should make any difference.
I do the same on my current tank, and have used these for as long as i can remember, but the one I am building will be 4 titanium heaters with controller in the 150-300w range

Jeremiah;369272 said:
They had a faukty part Imbelieve last year and they remedied the fault so if it's newer you should be ok. Reef central has a thread on the bad batch with the dates look it up.

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have eheim jager. Tried a couple other brands before this one. IMO the jager holds temp better with smaller variance. I need to get a second heater for back up.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have used Ehiem Jager for 5 years now no problems. I run them on a Ranco controller and have the Ranco plugged into my apex.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;369374 said:
I have used Ehiem Jager for 5 years now no problems. I run them on a Ranco controller and have the Ranco plugged into my apex.
Yup this is pretty much what I do as well only I have a GHL profilux in place of the apex.

I set the built in thermostats on the Ehiem to 80 degrees, the Ranco to 78 with a +/- 1deg variance and set the profilux to 82 +/- 1deg with an alarm and a MH shutoff. A separate temp sensor placed in an external non insulated probe box which is set to 72 deg. Anything lower than 72 degrees in that box indicates either heater failure or return pump failure.