Heaters? What do you use?

I love the Aqueon heaters. The black ones which are plastic NOT the glass ones. The glass ones are very unreliable but the black ones works amazing and last forever. I would also recommend using the heaters with a controller. I use the reef keeper with my heater so it will never go beyond a desired temp.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've used the Hydor Theo's on my tank. 3x 400w. I just had one break last month where it was on but not heating. So that's about 5 years worth of use and only 1 broke. I replaced all 3 with new Hydor Theo's anyway to be safe.

aquarius

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
I use Hydor Theo's for my 180 and Cobalt Neo's for my other tanks. All heaters have been issue free for years and range from 50 to 200 watts and are controlled by my Apex's. The Neotherm's had a design issue in 2013 that lasted most of that year for the 200watt version which I had but their customer service is first class and I've bought several more since. If you have a Neotherm with a date tag from 2013 and it's a 200 watt model give them a call they should swap it out for you no problem.

zinovate

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just had an Aqueon Pro 200W start leaking water into the heater from the bottom. I was luckily next to the tank. Heard some odd bubbling noise and an odd smell. Run over start powering things down to see what was up. Tanks off, noise persists. I look at the heater to see bubbles rising out. Took it out right away, what a smell...

I had bought it used so I don't know how old it is.

Lesson learned, I don't think I will buy used heaters just for the knowledge of their age.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I would do a few 3+ 300x watts and maybe a few 150w heaters, but I personally prefer several smaller heaters over one big one, as they are less likely to cause catastrophic failures that way.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
A lot depends on what temp you want to keep the tank at and temp of its surroundings.

Most heaters are rated to increase x amount of gal by y degrees. Just match up what you need.

Def go with more smaller ones then one big one. Gives some redundancy and reduce risk.