How much aquarium can my floor hold?

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: How much aquarium can my floor hold?

I'd say to put it across as many joists as possible. If you really want to be safe, you can put a floor support thing in the basement under the tank.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

static reef

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
typically you want to run a large tank right across of an i beam or reinforced beams from the basement. If you don't than your tank will not crash through the floor right away. It will take years for the floor to finally give way. This is why grand pianos that way 2,000 lbs. have been fine throughout the years. The main thing is to take in consideration that all you weight is in a very small foot print. reinforcing your basement doesn't have to be a major task. Adjustable steel poles from lowes that raise up to 8' 4" will do the trick just fine. I suggest using a 2"x12" BOARD ABOVE YOUR NEW BEAMS AND UNDER YOU SUPPORT HEADERS. You want your beams to run in the opposite direction of your support flooring. If you set-up your tank in the middle of the floor it will be fine for a while. However, the floor overtime will start to sag. Therefore if you ever move you will have an extreme dip in the middle of your living room. By the way the strongest part of your sub flooring is the actual point that you floor meets the exterior portion of your wall. hope this helps

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
that0neguy1126;217443 said:
steel poles are pointless for most homes in colorado. 99% of homes have a floating basement floor
+1. The poles on a floating basement floor will provide a false sense of security. If the basement floor moves up the pole could cause damage to the home. On the other hand if the floor moves down then the pole does nothing.

I have also had a structural engineer freind of mine recommended against using the adjustable pole supports on the basement floor.

Real glad I took the time to read this full thread. Not about to rush out to Home Depot this very moment, but before setting up my next tank, I have some work with some 2 X 10s in my future.

Thanks for all the great and detailed info!