Marine Velvet Treatment

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
After waiting 10 weeks just to be safe, all remaining fish were added back to the main display :). The use of copper followed by activated pellet carbon spread some HLLE pretty bad on my yellow tang and noticeable on the flame angel and the blue tang. Does anyone have any methods that worked well to treat HLLE? My current plan is to keep water quality prestine, stop the use of activated carbon and feed nori and frozen soaked in selcon.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
New Life Spectrum pellets are the best. The zoe washes off of frozen food. Have your frozen selection be mostly PE Mysis (not the knock off). This is as good as it gets IME.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've put the PE mysis in a brine net, squeezed the excess water out, then dropped the mysis in a cup with selcon. The mysis then absorbs the selcon so that it's not just sitting on the surface and washed away, which tends to happen otherwise as jda pointed out. Give it a try...

Talryn77

Detritus
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have used successful hydrogen peroxide. A 60 ppm dose while tuning the skimmer and return pump off and letting circulation pumps flow for 30-60 minutes. This will provide an almost immediate relief to fish and I kill off most of the MV. Repeat the dose at one week intervals for 2 weeks. This has come from research papers conducted in aquaculture farms. I have used this procedure a few times with great success. The beautiful aspect is the hydrogen peroxide will disassociate after a few hours once the skimmer and return pump are turned back on.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Did you use that treatment with corals present? Thay seems like it would wreak havok on lps.

Talryn77

Detritus
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have used it on with soft corals. But the primary research was for fish only systems. The soft corals shrunk up for a day and came back. I have not had the need to try with hard corals present in a tank yet.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good to know. If I ever get it again, I will probably still treat with copper for the majority of fish, but that could be a good way to give fish some immediate relief until a QT tank is set up and running, and could be a better option for fish like my mandarin and gobies that dont handle traditional QT well. Maybe setup a seperate 10 gallon with sand and copepods for those fish and treat them with hp and treat the other fish with copper.