Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
I've been clearing out some space in my tanks. If one of the vendors here can score you something cool, I'd be willing to auction off some coral for a donation.

Enough so you can order one or 2 to get started. I saw a couple rays for less than $150 on HML. I'm sure I can frag enough for 1 or 2. Just let me know.

https://harrysmarinelife.com/product-category/marine-fish/rays-sharks-marine

Sent from my SM-G975U using MASC mobile app
That would be amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Rock started going in! Kids came in shorts on this chilly day in order to get to do this. They can’t remember to do their math homework, but they can remember to wear shorts on a Tuesday when I tell them about it a week prior. Funny how that works.

We got about half of the already-wet rock in and zip tied to the pvc. The rest will go in next week. And then when they’re done, Mike and I will have to climb in there and mortar it all, fill in the gaps, and trim up the zip ties.

They’re still rinsing sand too.

I thought we’d perhaps be ready for damsels next week, but that isn’t going to happen with more rock that needs to go in. So we’re still at least two weeks out from the starter fish.

But the kids are having a blast. They want fish club to last from school’s out (2:30) until 10:00. And hopefully, they’re getting hooked on a lifelong hobby.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Best thing I’ve seen all day! You guys are awesome. I love how you have so many students getting more and more involved!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
That is Awesome! Love it!

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Best thing I’ve seen all day! You guys are awesome. I love how you have so many students getting more and more involved!

I’m still coaching but Jodi said we had 25 kids there on Tuesday!

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

scmountain

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
These kids are going to need R.A.R.E!
Reefing. Aquarium. Resistance. Education

Love this build!

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
More updates! In all, the rock building took three weeks. Three weeks of kids climbing in with zip ties and coaching on aquascaping techniques.

Then Mike climbed in and made sure all the critical joints got some mortar. We used Marco mortar, which was interesting to work with. We would do that differently next time, but it got the job done.

Then yesterday, we went in to the building to get the tank completely full and running! Heaters and controllers are installed, and we had just barely enough rodi on hand to fill the tank up and add salt.

So now it’s officially running and the cycle is started! It’s incredibly quiet. You can’t hear the two sicce return pumps at all. The overflows drain almost completely silently. And once the stand cabinet doors are built and added, I don’t think you’ll be able to hear it running at all.

Honestly, we were the only two in the building standing and listening to it, and we could barely hear it. There’s no way it’ll be heard above the normal hustle and bustle of the school day.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Looks great guys. That's some good team work there

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Things have been really coming together and Jodi has been doing a fantastic job running the school club.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I LOVE THAT ARCH!!!
It really came together nicely. There are some spots where you can see the pvc frame still. We will probably zip tie a couple more small pieces so that it’s completely covered from the front. We’re hoping that adding some GSP and other weed corals that they will cover and disguise the zip ties too.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I will be covered in coralline soon enough. ...speaking of, good thing that you have all of those kids to scrape that thing. :)

scmountain

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
It really came together nicely. There are some spots where you can see the pvc frame still. We will probably zip tie a couple more small pieces so that it’s completely covered from the front. We’re hoping that adding some GSP and other weed corals that they will cover and disguise the zip ties too.
It is kind of crazy how quickly my zip ties disappeared into the rocks! and you can always glue sand to them to help hide them.
I personally am cautious to use weed corals, and with how well you propagated nems in the classroom tank........... just saying haha

Also where does one sign up for to get some of this "coaching on aquascaping techniques"?????

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Also where does one sign up for to get some of this "coaching on aquascaping techniques"?????
Sounds like a good topic idea for a coral show...if and when we ever get back to doing those

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
So the tank is full on in the ugly stage. We have one lone damsel who needed a place to stay and got thrown in here. The kids about lost their minds when they realized there was a fish in the tank finally. And it’s so fun to hear the fish club kids explaining to the rest of the kids why he’s in there.

When we were explaining to kids about the ugly stage, one of the students piped up and said “so fish tanks go through puberty too?” I about lost my mind. And now I definitely need this design on a fish club shirt for our middle school group.

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
The first graders also did a lovely display of their writing projects about epaulette sharks. So fun to have this tank impacting our whole community here, kindergarten through 8th grade.