Synden's build-off competition entry

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Well the goby has been settling in nicely. Pretty fun to watch those two. Been getting a bit of diatoms in the tank, but nothing major, should go away soon and likely give way to cyano.
I added an airstone under the sponge, although I realize now that I made the first baffle wrong, and it should have been higher so water flowed under it instead of over it. Cant fix it now, but with the sponge and added airstone it still flows through it fairly well, so it will work anyway I think
First mushroom had been doing pretty good so I added a few more mushroom, and I started on the top screen for the tank. Got the wrong size for the screening spline, so will have to finish the top tomorrow. I also added another maxijet just to add some flow, and turbulence.
View attachment 14851 View attachment 14852 View attachment 14853 View attachment 14854

Last edited by a moderator:

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
All installed, and looks good. I opt'ed to let it rest on the top of the tank instead of putting tabs around the edges so it could rest inside the rim.
I also added an encrusting gorgonian to the tank
View attachment 14864

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Not much to report this week.
Tested the water today and did a 50% water change. Diatoms have mostly finished, and starting to get a bit of hair, and film algae now, seems to have skipped the cyano stage, but will see. Coraline starting to showup and grow too.
Pods are going strong and can be seen covering the glass. Highfin and pistol shrimp doing good too. Both eating well and hi-fin is finally getting used to feeding times and slowly becoming less skittish.
Prior to water change the numbers breakdown like this
Ph - 7.7
Phos - .03
NO3 - 0.2 (almost undetectable)
Alk - 7.1
CA - 400
MG - 1335
salinity - 1.025
temp - 77

Will be looking to add the next fish in the next few weeks. Still undecided between a rainsford goby or maybe 2 exquisite firefish. Will have to decide sometime soon but no rush. Will start adding a few more corals in the next few weeks too. Likely some lps, maybe a few zoas, and some leather.

View attachment 14935

scmountain

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
posting numbers BEFORE water change... serious "human points" appreciate the honesty. I will not say aloud that I used to take my water to get tested after a WC, petty I know....

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Came down this morning and turned on the light to find the tank all cloudy. At first I was worried it might have gotten some bacterial bloom, but upon further inspection, it appears that my margarita snails decided to spawn. Two of them were up in the corner spewing their spawn into the tank.
Not much else has happened with the tank. I did add one nassurius snail to help with food cleanup but otherwise just waiting a bit to add anything else. Goby and shrimp doing great, and all the corals are alive, although a few don't seem very happy. So just gonna let the tank establish a bit more before I add any other View attachment 15006 View attachment 15007

Sent from my Nexus 6 using MASC mobile app

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I love the white and yellow Yumas. If they are not Yumas, then I love them still.
Thanks, hoping they all grow out well
Been pretty much leaving the tank alone, lately. Did a water change last week but didn't test anything.
Goby still doing good and adjusting to feeding 1-2 times a day.
So time for some additions
Found a nice combo rock at AA today and it will nicely in here. More pics to follow
View attachment 15069

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Added another rock, rastas and bambams, I got from a member for $50
I'll likely re arrange and re scape it a bit for these two rock, but leave for now.
Gonna let the tank settle for a bit before I add anything else, but want some more fish soon, so I can get them in qt and ready for the tank while I wait View attachment 15078 View attachment 15079 View attachment 15080

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Setting up a make shift Qt. Didn't want to use the 40g qt for one small fish so a 5g bucket it is.
Ordered a rainford goby, which should be in this week.
Tank its self doing real well. Starting to see some growth and everything is coloring up nicely. Even the faded ones are starting to show much better color.
I did add a purple cabbage leather and a devil's hand that I got at the dbtc meeting. Will charge myself $10 for each of those
Did a 50% water change this last weekend. Have a small amount of algae growing, and a few apstasia, but nothing out of control yet.
View attachment 15186 View attachment 15187 View attachment 15188 View attachment 15189

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
A little video I shot of the feather dusters that are cover my sand bed.
These guy came in on some live rock I started the tank with, and they have taken off from there. They all have long flexible tubes that almost look like rubber. Pretty neat to watch them waving around in the current, and they are super sensitive to light changes. They all close up at the same time if the light changes in any way

http://instagr.am/p/B0jS7olneJy/

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Setting up a make shift Qt. Didn't want to use the 40g qt for one small fish so a 5g bucket it is.
Ordered a rainford goby, which should be in this week.
Tank its self doing real well. Starting to see some growth and everything is coloring up nicely. Even the faded ones are starting to show much better color.
I did add a purple cabbage leather and a devil's hand that I got at the dbtc meeting. Will charge myself $10 for each of those
Did a 50% water change this last weekend. Have a small amount of algae growing, and a few apstasia, but nothing out of control yet.
View attachment 15186 View attachment 15187 View attachment 15188 View attachment 15189

I like those neon green mushrooms

scmountain

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
A little video I shot of the feather dusters that are cover my sand bed.
These guy came in on some live rock I started the tank with, and they have taken off from there. They all have long flexible tubes that almost look like rubber. Pretty neat to watch them waving around in the current, and they are super sensitive to light changes. They all close up at the same time if the light changes in any way
I am super jealous, I am a big fan of dusters but can only grow the dark purple ones! (aptasia lol)

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I like those neon green mushrooms
Thanks, I'm liking them too. They are very bright. hoping they open up more eventually
I am super jealous, I am a big fan of dusters but can only grow the dark purple ones! (aptasia lol)
Ya, they are pretty kewl. Got a few aptasia too though, gonna have break out the lemon juice for them this weekend I think

Did a 5g water change this weekend and tank is still looking pretty good. Had bought a Rainford goby from 5280 but sadly it did not make it through QT :( Will likely try something else here in the near future then.