Syn's 850g.t.v Deep Brain system

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Nice progress! Did your Banggai ever give birth?
no he has eaten the egg clutches twice now. Pajamas have also started breeding but also have been eating the clutches so far. One of these days they wont eat them Im sure

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Thanks, glad you could come in and see it this time. I of course am always happy to show it off hehe :D

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Finally got back my first ICP test and looks like I need to start some dosing on a few things, namely iron, cobalt, iodine, chromium, manganese, vanadium and zinc. I have recipes for making solutions for these, so time order some of the ingredients and get them mixed up. Only need a very small increase on each of those, so shouldnt be to hard, and this also confirmed that my saliferts are be right on, especially with MG. I have known for a while my MG was way to high, and I actually removed all the re-mag from my calcium reactor as a result. Hopefully by the time I retest it will drop to more reasonable levels.
I also tested my RO water and happy to report everything came out as perfect zeros.

View attachment 19154

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Finally got my 3d printer up and running again. Took a bunch of upgrades to get it to print decent again. So first thing I printed was a tube design I had been working on for my Neptune AFS. I actually bought the AFS at the Denver Macna many years agao, and finally took it out of the box and put it to work. Tube is simple enough and made to fit through the hole in my lids. Works great so far. Will likely refine the design a bit and then reprint it in PETG instead of PLA as the PETG will last longer. I will likely also make a few designs to fit over different kinds of tanks, like a standard and euro braced tanks too.
View attachment 19165 View attachment 19166 View attachment 19167

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Finally got the prototypes for my flow nozzles done. Been working on these for a while before the printer broke down. Finally its printing great and I was able to finish the prototypes. These are printed in multiple pieces and then each piece snaps together, and will go on my closed loop returns, as well as the main return. I made multiple different outlets on them to suit different placements in the tank. These are currently printed in PLA, which isnt very durable overall, so now the next step will be to print them in PETG which is more durable and food safe.

View attachment 19210

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Made another nozzle design for the tank. I wasn't liking the 2x 1.25" ports on the back closed loop . The nozzles I put on those previously were just to long and the split ends was kind of diminishing the flow from them. So I made a shorter version and added my own version of eductor/ random flow nozzle to the ends. So far they are working much better
This is the first versions that I didnt like
View attachment 19262

This is the new version prior to install
View attachment 19261

This is the the new ones installed on both ports
View attachment 19265 View attachment 19266

Also pulled out about 5lbs of fern caulerpa from the macro tank and can see in the tank again lol
View attachment 19263 View attachment 19264

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Tank hit 1 year with water in it the other day, so I figured it was time for a good ol' photo dump for its birthday. Things still growing good. I am currently working on replacing the lids on the tank. It has solid acrylic lids currently, but I found that they are just holding in way to much heat and it was making it quite difficult to keep the temp down. The cooling system was basiclly running all day and night to keep up. As soon as I removed one lid it finally stabilized. So I am going to replace with screen tops, and I designed a new lid frame in 3d, and have been printing out the pieces for the first lid, for the last week or so. I will post pics up once it is complete.

Also had my rainbow nem finally split, although didnt really want it to. I have had that nem for close to 9 years now and this is the first time it split. Hopefully I can remove one of them once it heals up a bit

View attachment 19333 View attachment 19334

View attachment 19335 View attachment 19336

View attachment 19337 View attachment 19338

View attachment 19339 View attachment 19340

View attachment 19341 View attachment 19342
Some new frags I picked up at Coral Farmer show

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Got my first custom screen top made for the tank. Printed in translucent white PETG.
The old ones were solid acrylic and were kind of problematic. For one the solid tops were heavy, the frame was kind of brittle, they warped under the lights over time too. They also were trapping a ton of heat in and making it hard to maintain a stable temp in the summer. The new is much lighter, provides better airflow and I made it so it has a feed door for easy access. Will have to see how the petg holds up over time being under the lights though. For now though it works much better and I am starting on the next lid, which is a much more irregular shape.

View attachment 19358

View attachment 19359

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Printed one of the weird shaped tops for the big tank, and also made one for the little frag tank. The big one I actually made it the wrong size, so I had to print extensions all around the edges, which I am not a big fan of overall. Really wnat to keep the edges as thin as possible so they diffuse as little light as possible, but I likely will re-print it sometime in the future, but for now it works fine.
The frag tank one I made little hooks on the under side so it would hold the nem basket, which works great
I have one more triangular top to make for the big tank yet, which I will be working on next week. Hopefully I can get the scaling right this time

View attachment 19432 View attachment 19433 View attachment 19434

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Those look really nice!

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Thanks! They have made a big difference and are a huge improvement over the solid acrylic ones that were on it.

scmountain

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
you feel like printing more? ;)
These look much better than my wood trim + net top

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
you feel like printing more? ;)
These look much better than my wood trim + net top
Ya, I certainly could. pm me and we can work out the details, or you could stop by my house sometime if you want to see up close