The Dr. Has gone insane Re-build

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;367257 said:
That's quite a compliment but Baja mike's tank far surpassed mine!
I dont think so......Your first tank gave me so much inspiration it was not even funny.....I would have put that tank in my top 5 favorite tanks. Looks like this one is well on its way as well.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Bajamike;367269 said:
I dont think so......Your first tank gave me so much inspiration it was not even funny.....I would have put that tank in my top 5 favorite tanks. Looks like this one is well on its way as well.
Crap dude! Kinda funny as yours was my inspiration for this one! Lol

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;367254 said:
Wow Mike your tank is looking stellar!!!!! That SPS growth is top notch and reminds me of Baja Mike's tank (rip - the tank not mike lol).

Job well done my friend!
To even be talked about in the same league as Dr tutu, is an honor. :stoked:
Now I just let mother nature take care things

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
MuralReef;367541 said:
Your tank looks amazing! You're inspiring me to get the junk out of mine.
Was great to see you. We need to get the families together in the next couple weeks! Thanks for the compliment.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Haddonisreef;641496 said:
Holy stix bat man!! Looking awesome man!!
Thanks man! Getting the itch to do another tank. Maybe a 30ish gallon in the entry way tied into this system. Maybe do all lps in it. I wanna build the tank. I'd need a bigger return pump too. Need to sell more frag plugs I guess. Lol

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
So finally this tank looks pretty good, stable, mostly dialed in with some operator error now and again. My wife and I decided to move across town to a better neighborhood (hopefully). Sooooo moving the tank? What to do, sell all the corals... Frag what I want and sell the rest? Try to move everything??? Anyone have suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Move it! Well I guess it depends on distance, but I'd say move it.

You could set up a large rubbermaid stock container with your lights and pumps for a short time (like at my house) while you get everything non-reef related moved over and settled in and then move the reef in?

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
It's only 1.5 miles. The larger colonies are sure to take a beating trying to get them places again, not to mention the mini cycle that's bound to take place. Bacteria in a bottle will surely be used. I think I may take huge Frags of everything and put them in my sump. Then sell everything in the tank.... Get new rock and let the tank cycle then connect the sump and tank (large basement sump) so maybe a sale on the corals... I'd probably set a date and have a sale open house and sell the coral, rock and such at really great prices. Just would need enough to get the new rock and rescale... Too much rock anyhow! Lol

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
For a mile and a half I wonder if you could almost take a piece out put it in the lap of one of your kids in the car, drive it over, and put it in the sump at the new place? It would be in the air for what, 10 minutes? Just tell the girls to hold it secure and drive fast! It might not be the most efficient way, but your SPS won't get all banged up against the side of a bucket...

Found this on RC, SPS at low tide:

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
TheRealChrisBrown;652810 said:
For a mile and a half I wonder if you could almost take a piece out put it in the lap of one of your kids in the car, drive it over, and put it in the sump at the new place? It would be in the air for what, 10 minutes? Just tell the girls to hold it secure and drive fast! It might not be the most efficient way, but your SPS won't get all banged up against the side of a bucket...

Found this on RC, SPS at low tide:

My worry really is re setting the rocks ape. The corals are all getting pretty large and entertwined, no way to really set it up the same again. I think I'm going to take the opportunity to redo things with less rock, get rid of some nuisance at hung in the tank, majano,6 line shrimp killa... And the like. I may have an established place to store the coral. It'll make the move less stressful for sure!!! Bottom line is NEVER MOVE if you have an sps dominated tank. Lol

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio

Started work on new fish room stand. Getting a new sump. Having this stand powder coated red(I think) to match the bubble King skimmer and painting the top and shelf white.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.CRWtakesFOREVERtoChangeNames;n654411 said:

Started work on new fish room stand. Getting a new sump. Having this stand powder coated red(I think) to match the bubble King skimmer and painting the top and shelf white.

We where just talking about the stand and look at that it's already done haha

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Get frags to a reliable friend just in case - 2 of each is a good idea. If you can move the corals into a holding tank with light by themselves, that can work.

Try and not disturb too much of the sand and you should be OK. The bacteria die off is your big worry.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
jda123;654540 said:
Get frags to a reliable friend just in case - 2 of each is a good idea. If you can move the corals into a holding tank with light by themselves, that can work.

Try and not disturb too much of the sand and you should be OK. The bacteria die off is your big worry.
For sure man. And yea, not touching the sand. Our mover was pretty confident that they could handle the tank with the sand in it. I'm doing the rest of the work.

I'm also setting up the sump, shimmer and calcium reactor the day ahead of time. The homeowner where we are moving has been super helpful letting me get into the house to make plans. He's actually kinda interested in the entire process. I think he may show up on move in day. Lol

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You will likely mini-cycle, like you did when you moved tanks... keep the corals out until this is over. It could take a few weeks.